Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Controlling time stamps in a bash script Post 302974969 by wbport on Monday 6th of June 2016 05:18:02 PM
Old 06-06-2016
Can you insert a sleep command into the loop? If it kicked off a background job every five minutes, sleep 300 would do the job. If every five minutes was a definite goal, code to create a time five minutes from now could be put into a script variable, then you would start your procedure. After that procedure, another loop that would only sleep for 1 second would wait for the target time to catch up.
If exactly five minutes is not that critical, just sleep for 3.5 minutes (tweak as needed) before starting over.
This User Gave Thanks to wbport For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Files in the same order along with time stamps

Hi , I am New to this group and would like to know if someone can help me on this issue : We need to copy some files from a particular directory to another directory in the same order and time stamps .How can this be achieved . For Ex : ./ABC/disk101/XYZ has 1000 files with varying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam.appalla
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with subtracting time stamps in excel..

Hi All, I need an unix script/command to delete the milliseconds from the time stamps so that it becomes compatible with Excel sheet while displaying finally. I have the following data in 2 columns which was obtained with some unix script(awk based) on some log files. Finally i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference between two time stamps

Hi Friends, I have 2 varaibles which contain START=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` END=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` i want the time difference between the two variables in Seconds. Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

date time stamps in bash

I'm looking for a way to have the "date" command output the date in a specific format. I'm not familiar with the different ways to use the date command at all. i read up on it, but i dont get how to manipulate it. i know that i can get the date format to give me a format like: 2012-10-13... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment time stamps.

Hi Gents. Please can you help me to solve a problem. I have a long list of files, which I need to change the time stamp. -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000009.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000010.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the Logs between two Time Stamps?

Hi, I have been working on the error Log script, where errors are pulled from server. I need to pull the data of the error logs between two dates & time, for example : 22/12/2014 20:00:00 22/12/2014 22:00:00 Whatever error have came during this duration. Now the question is the record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitgpta90
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting logs between two time stamps

Hi, please help me to collect the entire log files between two time stamp. for example, I am looking script to collect the entire log between "2015-03-27 15:59" to "2015-03-27 16:15" in the below sample log file. OS : RHEL 6.3 Date/Time : 24 hours format, the time is printing each log... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryknj
12 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin_openssh time stamps

I've installed cygwin_openssh on Windows 2012 R2 and it's working great. My issue is when a file is uploaded say from a different timezone, when it is uploaded, it doesnt pick up the sftp servers time.. Is there a way to fix that? i.e. When someone in PST uploads a file to this server in EST,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeAdkins
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)