Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to modify the cat command to highlight a chosen word? Post 302974840 by bakunin on Saturday 4th of June 2016 02:39:37 PM
Old 06-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoFox
Is it possible to modify the cat command (using a linux virtual machine) so that it displays text of a file and highlights a specifically chosen word?
Despite RudiC has already come up with some rather elaborate workarounds: the short answer is you can't. The reason is (as RudiC also mentioned) that cat is intended for a different purpose.

Your questions amounts to "can i modify a hammer so that it drills holes". Yes, maybe, somehow, but why not use a drilling machine instead, which will be better suited for that from the start?

You can use sed as mentioned to decorate certain words or phrases with highlighting code, but that is quirky at best and certainly not very portable (chances are it won't work in the same way on another system). If you just want to search for something and want to have it easier to see the found pieces use the grep facility. In your Linuy system the grep has a --color option which should do what you want. If memory serves right this is even on by default. Otherwise cosult the man page of it.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment And, by the way: please do NOT post in the "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions" forum if you are not doing exactly that - write an essay about some frequently asked question. I have moved your thread to a more fitting forum. Thanks for your consideration.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move word by word on command line

Hey All, On commad promt of a shell.. How can we move our cursor word by word. Like Ctrl+A takes to the starting of the command... Any shortcut like that..? Thanks pbsrinivas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat/delete per line any word "192.168.1.12"

Hi All Can u help me.. My problem is delete word per line sample: cat /tmp/file.txt monitor 192.168.1.11 Copying files in current directory 1 monitor 192.168.1.1 Copying files in current directory 2 monitor 192.168.1.12 Copying files in current directory 3 monitor 192.168.1.14... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. AIX

find command modify the output

Hello All, I am new to this shell scripting , I wanted to modify the output of my find command such that it does not display the path but only file names , for example I am searching for the files which are modified in the last 24 hours which is find /usr/monitor/text/ -type f -mtime... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raokl
3 Replies

6. Linux

help to print all the contents under chosen records in perl

Hi, I have a file in which I have to separate genes from phenotype data. I have written a program as given below which prints just the gene records. 1. But I want to print all the data under each specified record to the output file. So the file has all the data like for every record. An example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

get chosen value from bash menu

Hi again :) This is just a sample whiptail menu. Works great, but have been trying to get the chosen value into a variable but failing pretty bad...its ther but unsure how to echo it out when needed #! /bin/bash #This is the menu whiptail --title "Menu example" --menu "Choose an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: olearydc
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to modify the script to include cat function

I have the following script that greps lines containing "AT" from data files data1.hsq through data1000.hsq, then cuts their second column and puts in data files called perm1 through perm1000. I want to modify the script so that instead of putting the data in separate data files perm1 through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying xml files to a chosen directory

I want to determine if there's any xml files exist & if so copy each xml to that directory. Is my code correct for doing that? I can't test my script yet. Somebody please explain it to me please? if ]; then #print "No Status type XML files received from server in $DIRECTORY" else for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emc^24sho
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Highlight 'comm' command output

Given the output below (simplified) extracted from the comparison of two curl -I commands saved in two different files, I am looking for the best approach to highlight the following scenarios in a script: this header exists only in file1.txt but this one does not this one exists in both cases... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muppets
1 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)