Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which UNIX OS is going to give me the most versatility? I Want Total Control Post 302974317 by metacogitans on Friday 27th of May 2016 10:54:31 PM
Old 05-27-2016
Which UNIX OS is going to give me the most versatility? I Want Total Control

I am going to be switching to something Unix for my primary OS, and I really need to know right now, which one is going to be able handle getting tweaked up entirely, and be able to stay fluent doing all the stuff I plan on doing using Unix?

I need to be able to have grass roots control sometimes, and get as close to hardware and their instructions as practical . Then the rest of the time, I also would like it to be fluent on its own, for efficiency and convenience, and wouldn't mind it packaged with the essentials, like having codecs; also handling basic drivers on its own would be a big plus.

That being said, I still want to be able to get at anything/everything (all the nooks and crannies) without it being an obstacle to get at, but it's also nice to have the OS accommodating me while doing that as much as practical.

Just a few examples of the things I'm envisioning doing (some demanding, some convenient, and some stuff just insanity and recklessness, and antics that you would maybe say aren't possible if they didn't sound like they could work):

- Put a second OS on the machine, completely gut it, like, straight up filleting the stuff I don't want out of the hard-drive and leaving only the bare bones, restricting it from taking up CPU usage, and letting it run in the background as just a command line.

- Rigging up ports on my motherboard to hook up devices that aren't meant for computers, or in some cases never intended to be hooked up to anything period.

- Keeping a surrogate PC solely as a first line 'dummy' so disruptive garbage getting dumped off by the internet for no reason gets sent there instead, that way I can look at the endless piles of crap and headaches and get to just stare at in awe without having it already being on my computer first. Then periodically do fresh installs on the dummy, and make it so the installer sets it back up for being a surrogate again automatically.

- Logging anything and everything that ever takes place on my computer, as one big unmanageable volume of raw data stored in the form of random characters and symbols that can't even be translated back into anything .

- Logging instructions from my actual processor by mining it out of my RAM, yielding mounds of gibberish to be read through by me later for no reason.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix System Total Replication

Is there any way to totally replicate a unix system from one hardisk to another? And be able to swap the hardisk and restart the system without any error? TQ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuraman
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How should I know the total RAM available on UNIX

Hi How Should I know the Total RAM available on HP-UX box? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skull123
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep running total/ final total across multiple files

Ok, another fun hiccup in my UNIX learning curve. I am trying to count the number of occurrences of an IP address across multiple files named example.hits. I can extract the number of occurrences from the files individually but when you use grep -c with multiple files you get the output similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. Programming

Please give me some advise to program for unix/linux using c/c++?

I have a good foundation of c++.I want to learn to program for linux/unix,can you give me some advises,for example classic books ,which operating system is used better(freebsd,solaris,federal linux.etc),and which aspects uses mostly in job.Can you give me clear direction for working or learning. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fengshuiyue
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For SFTP connection - How to give password in UNIX Script (ksh)

Hi, I am not able to give the password in Unix script for SFTP connection. When I am trying to manully SFTP command for accessing the server , it asking for pwd and I could provide the pwd but I am not getting how to provide the pwd inside the Unix script. sftp -v user@xyz.com. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vineeta Nigam
4 Replies
dca(7D) 							      Devices								   dca(7D)

NAME
dca - Crypto Accelerator device driver SYNOPSIS
pci108e,5454@pci-slot pci108e,5455@pci-slot pci108e,5456@pci-slot pci14e4,5820@pci-slot pci14e4,5821@pci-slot pci14e4,5822@pci-slot DESCRIPTION
The dca device driver is a multi-threaded, loadable hardware driver supporting Sun PCI-based (pci108e,5454) cryptographic accelerators, such as the Sun Crypto Accelerator 1000. The dca driver requires the presence of Solaris Cryptographic Framework for applications and kernel clients to access the provided ser- vices. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The dca driver maintains the following statistics: 3desjobs Total number of jobs submitted to the device for 3DES encryption. 3desbytes Total number of bytes submitted to the device for 3DES encryption. rsapublic Total number of jobs submitted to the device for RSA public key operations. rsaprivate Total number of jobs submitted to the device for RSA private key operations. dsasign Total number of jobs submitted to the device for DSA signing. dsaverify Total number of jobs submitted to the device for DSA verification. rngjobs Total number of jobs submitted for pure entropy generation. rngbytes Total number of bytes of pure entropy requested from the device. rngsha1jobs Total number of jobs submitted for entropy generation, with SHA-1 post-processing. rngsha1bytes Total number of bytes of entropy requested from the device, with SHA-1 post-processing. Additional statistics may be supplied for Sun support personnel, but are not useful to end users and are not documented here. The dca driver can be configured by defining properties in /kernel/drv/dca.conf which override the default settings. The following proper- ties are supported: nostats Disables the generation of statistics. This property may be used to help prevent traffic analysis, but this may inhibit sup- port personnel. rngdirect Disables the SHA-1 post-processing of generated entropy. This may give "truer" random numbers, but it may also introduce the risk of external biases influencing the distribution of generated random numbers. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdcar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ FILES
/kernel/drv/dca.conf dca configuration file /kernel/drv/sparcv9/dca 64-bit ELF kernel driver (SPARC) /kernel/drv/dca 32-bit ELF kernel driver (x86) /kernel/drv/amd64/dca 64-bit ELF kernel driver (AMD64) SEE ALSO
cryptoadm(1M), kstat(1M), prtconf(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5) Solaris Cryptographic Framework. SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2005 dca(7D)