Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP rename command help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTP rename command help Post 302974314 by srikanth38 on Friday 27th of May 2016 08:28:18 PM
Old 05-27-2016
FTP rename command help

I have to ftp and rename the file with #finished# extension after successfully transfer. In some environments the command
Code:
rename ABCD.dat ABCD.#finished#

is working fine, but some environments its not working, I have to use escape character something like :
Code:
rename ABCD.dat ABCD.\#finished\#

Why is it behaving differently? Both servers are running on Linux same version and korn shell.

Thank you in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename a file before and after a ftp?

I doin a script in sh. For example: i have this code here whereby $5 is a text file. eg file.txt. I wanna rename it to file.txt.tmp. so i use this code below which is correct. put $5 $5.tmp But when the ftp transfer is complete i need to rename the file back to $5 which is file.txt. How do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename while doing ftp

hi friends, I writing a script to psot dataset to ceratin server.....while doing ftp I have to rename the file while which is in present server like present :test server filename data.097878. ftp server: it sholu be renamed as data.097878.zip thanks, The thing is that while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagabhushan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files in remote server via ftp

Hi All, I want to rename set of files in the remote server which iam unable to do . i can rename only one file at a time . for example ftp $REMOTESERVER { rename $NAME1 $NAME2 } is working whereas ftp $REMOTESERVER { rename $NAME1*.dat $NAME2*.data } is not working ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshr85
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename multiple files with a single command

Hi I have following list of files at a path: 01.AR.asset 01.AR.index 01.AR.asset.vf 01.AR.asset.xv I want to rename all these files as follows: 73.AR.asset.Z 73.AR.index.Z 73.AR.asset.vf.Z 73.AR.asset.xv.Z Can any body give me a single command to acheive the above results. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename all the files with one command?

How do i rename all the files using a script ? My server create log files and save them with numbering behind the name. for e.g. daily_20080101.log.0001 and so on ... How do a script and crontab it to remove all the numbering? Please help thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using sed command

Greetings, I am very new to the UNIX shell scripting and would like to learn. However, I am currently stuck on how to process the below sample : Filename : DOCabcdef24387987ab90d.xml Pattern "DOC"+any character using and +".xml" And i want to change the second part of that file (any... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: fanny_tirtasari
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv command: mv vs rename operation

Hi all, I wish to know about a simple concept of mv command in UNIX. Is moving a file to a different directory takes longer than renaming it in the same direcotry using the mv command? The scenerio is that I have to transfer a file from one directory to a location which is regularly scanned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweety123
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having trouble with find rename jpg command

Hi, I have a large series of directories and subdirectories with many jpgs in them. I need to do two things: 1. Create a copy of each jpg found within it's own subdirectory 2. Rename this copied jpg such that apple.jpg becomes apple_m.jpg I have tried to run the following commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharvan13
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move and Rename in One Command

Hey all, I really need help with some homework I'm having on UNIX. This probably sounds stupid, but I'm being asked to move a file to a specific directory and rename it a specified name in one command. I know how to do it in more than one command, I just can't seem to figure it out using only one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayylmao12
1 Replies
rename(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      rename(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
rename - Rename or delete a command SYNOPSIS
rename oldName newName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Rename the command that used to be called oldName so that it is now called newName. If newName is an empty string then oldName is deleted. oldName and newName may include namespace qualifiers (names of containing namespaces). If a command is renamed into a different namespace, future invocations of it will execute in the new namespace. The rename command returns an empty string as result. EXAMPLE
The rename command can be used to wrap the standard Tcl commands with your own monitoring machinery. For example, you might wish to count how often the source command is called: rename ::source ::theRealSource set sourceCount 0 proc ::source args { global sourceCount puts "called source for the [incr sourceCount]'th time" uplevel 1 ::theRealSource $args } SEE ALSO
namespace(3tcl), proc(3tcl) KEYWORDS
command, delete, namespace, rename Tcl rename(3tcl)