Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the difference in this two awk command? Post 302974224 by Scott on Thursday 26th of May 2016 03:35:04 PM
Old 05-26-2016
The first one turns ("casts") the "strings" into numbers.

If the output's the same on both, it's probably because the input is already numerical.

Code:
$ echo a b c | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3 }'
a b c
$ echo a b c | awk '{ print $1+0, $2, $3 }'
0 b c
$ echo a b c | awk '{ print $1+0, $2+0, $3 }'
0 0 c
$ echo a b 27 | awk '{ print $1+0, $2+0, $3 }'
0 0 27
$ echo a b 27 | awk '{ print $1+0, $2+0, $3+0 }'
0 0 27
$ echo a b 27 | awk '{ print $1+0, $2+0, $3+1 }'
0 0 28
$

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

difference between ls -b and ls command

hi anyone please tell me what is the difference between ls -b command and ls command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathish2win
1 Replies

2. Programming

Difference between cp and mv linux command

Hi, I am facing one problem only with mv command not with cp command. I have a test program #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/mount.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <errno.h> int sync_file(char *file) { FILE *fp=NULL;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharshini123
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which command difference

What is the difference between (unix-system “which ) and which commands. For example when I use the (unix-system “which visual_elite) command I get the following result: /home/vhdl/edatools/mentor/visualelite/VisualElite-4.2.1/Linux2.4/bin/visual_elite When I do the same on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mihaelab
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script and Commandline difference

Hey there, I just stumbled upon a difference between using awk on the commandline and using it in a shellscript. I have a variable, e.g.: PROG=vim then i want to check if the package with this name is installed: TEMPVAL=$(dpkg -l | awk '{ if ($2 == "$PROG") print $2 }') (Im using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrSnail
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command difference - find

Hi, What is the difference between these two? find /some_dir -type f -exec chmod 070 {} \; and chmod 070 `find /some_dir -type f` Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamont
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk command to compare two files and print first difference

Hello, I have two text files, each with a single column, file 1: 124152970 123899868 123476854 54258288 123117283 file 2: 124152970 123899868 54258288 123117283 122108330 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: What is the difference between: X[a,b,c] - X[a][b,c] - X[a][b][c]

I have awk appearing to behave inconsistently. With the same variable it will give the message: fatal: attempt to use array `X' in a scalar context and, if I try to correct that, then: fatal: attempt to use a scalar value as array I'm using a three dimensional array. There seems to be a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fustbariclation
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in awk output and while

so, im going over one of my scripts and trying to optimize it. i have a code like this: cksum sjreas.py | awk '{prinnt $1$2}' This does what I need. However, i dont want to call the external command awk. so im doing this: cksum sjreas.py | while OFS=' ' read v1 v2 ; do printf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)