Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Centos 7 Network Manager overwriting resolv.conf Post 302973466 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 18th of May 2016 04:07:53 AM
Old 05-18-2016
RedHat Centos 7 Network Manager overwriting resolv.conf

Hi all,

I need to add domain and search parameters to resolv.conf, however network manager overwrites.

Setting the PEERDNS=No in the interface file seems to have no effect on this behaviour.

Sadly I cannot just disable NM as these are not my hosts, I'm just attempting to install a platform on them.

If I can modify Network Manager's behaviour over CLI or get it to enforce my chosen pragmas either would be great.

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

/etc/resolv.conf

I am new to unix. I have edited the /etc/resolv.conf. It shows domain name ip address ip address These are the same ips of the dns I use for windows. Still I get no name resolution on the internet. I can ping external ip's is there anything else I need to check? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnhavoc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns and resolv.conf

Hi ,,still struggling with unix ,,the system is running sco openserver release 5 and have dsl installed ,, the dsl modem is a bt router which in turn is connected to a vpn hardware router,, which also serves internet to the whole network ,, but i still cant connect to the internet via the unix box... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: b03der
10 Replies

3. SuSE

Suse 10 resolv.conf

I want to have 7 search domains in my resolv.conf, but it seems to like only the first six. I read somewhere that the OS will only recognize the first 6 (or the first 154 characters). Is that the case with SUSE 10? thx -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

resolv.conf

HI ALL I am making a script,That will does the following,I am in search of ideas 1.Script will comment all existing the entries in resolve.conf 2.Add new entries like this abc.example.com 192.168.1.x I can use sed to add comment. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resolv.conf

Hi everyone A quick question during a audit this was determined to be a security issue In the resolv.conf there is a “.” At the end of the domain name Like this domain mydomain.com. I which to understand the function or significance of the . thk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

resolv.conf

Hi, My resolv.conf keeps overwritten. I want to have it to just keep the setting that I put in there. I tried a few solutions I found using google. like supersede domain-name "xxx", prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; This does'nt work. I also tried to just chmod the file to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue on resolv.conf

Hi all, :( I am facing issue while I have updated in resolv.conf, after nework service restart, it was automatically deleted IP from resolv.conf file. Could you please let me know what is the reason resolv.conf deleted any IP which I have manually updated, but it store only my router IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradipta Kumar
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Resolv.conf not getting updated regularly!

Hi All! I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE. This is office's allocated laptop. I have a problem here now, my /etc/resolv.conf file is not getting updated automatically whenever I am switching network, i.e. home or office. I have to do it manually every-time, I manually input the office's DNS,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

BSD, network manager, resolv.conf, static IP

Once again, almost the same problem, not really solved. I need a hint for network configuration on bsd 10.1. In the GUI for the network network manager I set two different DNS addresses. As well as the user@domain,com at hostname, broadcast is on 255.255.255.0 After restarting the machine trying... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
resolv.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    resolv.conf(4)

NAME
resolv.conf - Resolver configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library (resolver(4)) that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System. The resolver con- figuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process. The file is designed to be human readable and contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver information. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword (for example, nameserver) must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. For example: keyword value The file format is as follows: nameserver Address Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. If no nameserver entries are present, the default is to use the name server on the local machine. (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made). domain DomainName Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first . (dot). Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed. search Domain_Name1 DomainName2 ... Search list for host-name lookup. Up to six domains (separated by spaces or tabs) with a total of 256 characters can be specified. If no search entry is present, the search list consists of the local domain name. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. You can also specify a search list on a per-process basis by specifying the LOCALDOMAIN environment variable. See resolver(4). The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive. If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance will override. options allow_special all | { char } Option for defining valid characters in hostnames. Specify all to disable hostname checking (allow all characters) or define a set of valid characters by using the { char } syntax, where char is the character you want to allow. For example, you can allow the semicolon, underscore, and colon characters by using { ; \_ : }. Disabling hostname checking altogether is not recommended. By default, the allow_special option is not set and strict hostname checking is enforced. options ndots:n Option for hostname lookup. The n specifies the minimum number of dots a name must contain in order for resolver to look up the name as given. If the lookup fails, the search list (if specified) is applied. The range for n is from 0 to 15. If no options entry is present, the minimum number of dots is 1. You can also specify the number of dots on a per-process basis by using the RES_OPTIONS environment variable. See resolver(4). CAUTIONS
Any white space entered after the domain name is not ignored but is interpreted as part of the domain name. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: named(8) Functions: gethostbyname(3), resolver(4) Files: hostname(5) delim off resolv.conf(4)