Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual Boot vs VM vs Wine?
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Dual Boot vs VM vs Wine? Post 302973375 by neil.corrigan12 on Tuesday 17th of May 2016 09:23:14 AM
Old 05-17-2016
Agree with them if your just gonna run simple application software better have an VM. Good advantage is you have both OS running at one screen. Disadvantage would be if your laptop hardware is not good enough you will experience slowness running VM (well in my case).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

XP -- Redhat Dual Boot

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syrex
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot problem

Hi All, I have a pc loaded with windows 2000 professional. Recently added new disk of size 80GB and installed redhat linux to second disk. Now system is booting to linux but not to windows 2000. How to configure for dual boot. Thanks in advance - Bache Gowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

6. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot issue

Hi All, 1st HDD is loaded with Windows 2000 Professional and I have installed Red Hat ES 3.0 on second HDD(80GB). After linux installation failed to load windows and boot stucks with displaying only L How to fix this issue Thanks in advance for your valuable answer. Regards, Bachegowda (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

8. Linux

Dual-boot help

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a dual-boot machine with Linux (RH FC 5) and Unix (Solaris 10)? I currently have one OS (Linux RH FC 5) on one drive (master) and another OS (Unix - Solaris 10) on the other drive (slave). I am a little unsure of what to modify the grub.config file with,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trmn8r
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies
WINETRICKS(1)						       Wine package manager						     WINETRICKS(1)

NAME
winetricks - manage virtual windows environments using wine SYNOPSIS
winetricks [options] [verb ... ] DESCRIPTION
winetricks is an easy way to work around common problems in Wine. It provides simple commands to tweak Wine settings, download and install missing Windows DLLs and fonts, or install various games or apps with appropriate workarounds for the current version of wine. It can be used via gui or commandline. The commandline mode is intended both for interactive use and as a building block in fancier wine frontends and in automated regression testing. winetricks with no arguments displays a GUI using either Zenity or Kdialog. OPTIONS
--force Don't check whether packages were already installed --gui Show gui diagnostics even when driven by commandline -k, --keep_isos Cache isos (allows later installation without disc) --no-clean Don't delete temp directories (useful during debugging) --no-isolate Don't install each app or game in its own bottle -q, --unattended Don't ask any questions, just install automatically -r, --ddrescue Retry hard when caching scratched discs --showbroken Even show verbs that are currently broken in wine -v, --verbose Echo all commands as they are executed -h, --help Display this message and exit -V, --version Display version and exit Commands: list list categories apps list list verbs in category 'applications' benchmarks list list verbs in category 'benchmarks' dlls list list verbs in category 'dlls' games list list verbs in category 'games' settings list list verbs in category 'settings' list-cached list cached-and-ready-to-install verbs list-download list verbs which download automatically list-manual-download list verbs which download with some help from the user list-installed list already-installed verbs prefix=foobar select WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/foobar EXAMPLES
To see list of available packages to install: winetricks list-download To install a package: winetricks 7zip ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
Wine checks several environment variables on startup: WINEPREFIX If set, this specifies the location of the default .wine directory ( usually $HOME/.wine ). WINE If set, this specifies which wine binary to use by default XDG_CACHE_HOME If set, this is path to system's user data cache (default: $HOME/.cache) W_CACHE path to Winetricks' user data cache (default: $XDG_CACHE_HOME/winetricks} AUTHORS
Dan Kegel, Austin English, and many others. For a complete list, please see the "Copyright" section in the file 'winetricks'. COPYRIGHT
winetricks is made available under the terms of the LGPL license. A copy of the license is in the file COPYING in the top-level directory of the source distribution. BUGS
Bugs may be reported at http://winetricks.org AVAILABILITY
The most recent version of winetricks can be downloaded from http://winetricks.org/download/releases/ The latest snapshot of the code may be obtained via svn; see http://code.google.com/p/winetricks/source/checkout For further information about winetricks see http://winetricks.org SEE ALSO
wine(1) Winetricks 20110429 April 2011 WINETRICKS(1)