Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Usage of '.' in MV command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Usage of '.' in MV command Post 302973123 by Don Cragun on Saturday 14th of May 2016 03:32:57 PM
Old 05-14-2016
I agree with what Aia said, but there are cases where adding a "/." (or just "/") to the end of a pathname that is supposed to be a directory can be helpful. For example, with the command:
Code:
mv /home/rahualux/*.csv /home/rahualux/details/employee_files

it is true that mv will issue a diagnostic if /home/rahualux/*.csv expands to a list of more than one file if /home/rahualux/details/employee_files is not a directory; but if the *.csv only matches one file and employee_files does not exist (or is a non-directory file), the file matching *.csv will be copied to or linked to employee_files destroying its previous contents if there were any. While, under these circumstances, the command:
Code:
mv /home/rahualux/*.csv /home/rahualux/details/employee_files/

will get a diagnostic saying that employee_files is not a directory.

When I am typing a command into the shell to move a file into a directory, I usually add a trailing "/" on the directory name just to protect against typing mistakes. I tend not to do that in scripts if I am sure that the directory structure is safe. If the script I'm writing is moving files around in an file hierarchy where several people have write access and multiple people/processes might be rearranging files while the script is running, I frequently use a trailing "/" on the target directories so the script fails as soon as something goes wrong.

Whether or not you decide to add a "/" or "/." to the ends of directory names is something that will probably depend on your typing skills, how many times you lose a file by accidentally misspelling a directory name, how much pain you have gone through while trying to recover a file you accidentally lost due to typing mistakes, and how important the files you are moving at the moment are to you.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file command usage

Hi, i would like to determine how many shell scripts are in a directory. Someone recommended me the file command, but i don't know how to use it in that way. anybody??? Thanks!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cksum command usage

Hi All, I am using cksum command in s script to check integrity of set of files transffred across the network. What are the advantages and disadvantages/limitations of this command? Is the byte count return reliable? What are the other alternatives I could use for this purpose? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axis99
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Glance command Usage

Hello We have used Glance command to check Cpu Uage , bit new to Glance command , HP-UXdev # glance B3692A GlancePlus C.03.71.00 18:21:16 nedunix2 9000/800 Current Avg High -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CPU Util S SN NU | 43% 59%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lukas_pise
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of prealloc command

hi please tell me the usage of prealloc command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo - command usage

Hi, I have few doubts regarding "sudo" command. It acutally allows access to other commands as a different user. It stands for "superuser do". Now, we execute a command as sudo su - oracle Can you please tell me what does it do actually, thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -v command usage?

I am trying to output a log file from cp usage. I think this can be achieved. In my code I have this. cp -i -v ~/files/* ~/backups/oldfiles/;; > ~/logs/logfile.logThe error I get is "syntax error near unexpected token '>' What am I missing? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameinn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort command usage

I have one file like this: NEW /ifs/SQL_Backups3/SQL_SharePoint1 NEW /ifs/SQL_Backups/SQL_SharePointThis can be easily sorted by the following command: cat file| sort -k3,3nBut I have another file like this: /Pool0/local/Benchmark /Pool0/local/CRAD /Pool0/local/crdhw/espresso_scratch1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies