Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ^M special character in Filename Post 302972995 by JayDoshi on Thursday 12th of May 2016 12:50:13 PM
Old 05-12-2016
Can you please check file transfer mode in your FTP tool, I am sure it will be binary mode which you need to change to text format to avoid this ^M.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

special character on Filename.. help!!!urgent

I'm trying to rename a file name but the original file has a special character caused by typo. I've tried numerous combination of characters but the file name (original) is still not being recognized which in turn, would not allow me to rename the file. Can someone help? The filename is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genzbeat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open filename with special characters in Perl

Hi All, I am facing a weird problem. I have got a directory structure copied from windows to Linux. Some of the folders are named like /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_1998.zip /gfs/data/Dow Jones $5/ DJ FCBOT_O_tick_2000.CSV /gfs/data/Dow Jones... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitrashatru
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy/move to a file with a special character as the 1st char in the filename?

I am trying to create files with special characters in its filenames for testing purposes. This is on a Linux RHEL4 but this should also be applicable on a Unix shell. I am able to create files with special characters in the filenames...e.g. cp -pv foo.gif \*special.gif cp -pv foo.gif \... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
xferlog(4)							   File Formats 							xferlog(4)

NAME
xferlog - FTP Server transfer log file SYNOPSIS
/var/log/xferlog DESCRIPTION
The xferlog file contains transfer logging information from the FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M). You can use the logfile capability to change the location of the log file. See ftpaccess(4). By default, each server entry is composed of a single line of the following form. All fields are separated by spaces. current-time transfer-time remote-host bytes-transferred filename transfer-type special-action-flag direction access-mode username service-name authentication-method authenticated-user-id completion-status The xferlog format capability can be used to customize the transfer log file format used. In addition to those in the default format, it also supports chroot-filename, file-size, and restart-offset fields. See ftpaccess(4). The fields are defined as follows: current-time The current local time in the form DDD MMM dd hh:mm:ss YYYY, where: DDD Is the day of the week MMM Is the month dd Is the day of the month hh Is the hour mm Is the minutes ss Is the seconds YYYY Is the year transfer-time The total time in seconds for the transfer remote-host The remote host name bytes-transferred The number of bytes transferred filename The absolute pathname of the transferred file transfer-type A single character indicating the type of transfer: a Indicates an ascii transfer b Indicates a binary transfer special-action-flag One or more single character flags that indicate any special action taken. The special-action-flag can have one of more of the following values: C File was compressed U File was uncompressed T File was archived, for example, by using tar(1) _ (underbNo)action was taken. direction The direction of the transfer. direction can have one of the following values: o Outgoing i Incoming access-mode The method by which the user is logged in. access-mode can have one of the following values: a For an anonymous user. g For a passworded guest user. See the description of the guestgroup capability in ftpaccess(4). r For a real, locally authenticated user username The local username, or if anonymous, the ID string given service-name The name of the service invoked, usually ftp authentication-method The method of authentication used. authentication-method can have one of the following values: 0 None 1 RFC 931 authentication authenticated-user-id The user ID returned by the authentication method. A * is used if an authenticated user ID is not available. completion-status A single character indicating the status of the transfer. completion-status can have one of the following values: c Indicates complete transfer i Indicates incomplete transfer chroot-filename The pathname of the transferred file relative to the chroot point. This will differ from the filename field for anonymous and guest users. file-size The size, in bytes, of the file on the server. restart-offset The offset, in bytes, at which the file transfer was restarted (0 when no restart offset was specified). FILES
/var/log/xferlog ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tar(1), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), attributes(5) StJohns, Mike. RFC 931, Authentication Server. Network Working Group. January 1985. SunOS 5.10 25 Apr 2003 xferlog(4)