Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting a field without disturbing field separator on other fields Post 302972819 by RudiC on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 04:38:19 AM
Old 05-11-2016
Is that one of your fixed field width files again? Then you shouldn't say the field separator is space...
Your problem is (man awk: )
Quote:
Assignment to NF or to a field causes $0 to be reconstructed by concatenating the $i's separated by OFS
Try adapting the method to copy the line into an array, then add the array element to be inserted, and print the array using a fixed width format.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field separator if there are blank fields?

Hi, I have the following data in the format as shown (note: there are more than 1 blank spaces between each field and the spaces are not uniform, meaning there can be one blank space between field1 and field2 and 3 spaces between field3 and field4, in this example, # are the spaces in between... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting on two fields time field and number field

Hi, I have a file that has data in it that says 00:01:48.233 1212 00:01:56.233 345 00:09:01.221 5678 00:12:23.321 93444 The file has more line than this but i just wanted to put in a snippet to ask how I would get the highest number with time stamp into another file. So from the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat4519
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator in awk

Hi I need to check if field separator I am using in awk statement is " : ", for example: TIME=12:59 HOUR=`echo "$TIME" | awk '{FS=":"; print $1}'` MINUTES=`echo "$TIME" | awk '{FS=":"; print $2}'` Is there a way to check within the above awk statement ? Thanks for help -A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator X'1F'

Hi, I have a flat file with fields separated by a X'1F' i have to fetch 4th field from second line. please help me how to achieve it. I tried with below command and its not working. cut -f4 -d`echo -e '\x1f'` filename.txt I am using SunOS. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan10k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo field separator

I am trying to echo all fields except for the last field. I want to include the field seperator, but it is removed. echo "a;s;v;g" | awk -F ";" '{$(NF--)=""; print}' a s v I want an output like this: a;s;v; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a new field inbetween two exisitng field

I have a '|' delimited file. My file looks like below 23|nationalhoilday|feb12||||||||||||||california|northdistrict|| In the same way, each record has 164 fields. I have to insert one more field after the 85th field. Expected output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk field separator help -

Hi Experts , file : - How to construct the awk filed separator so that $1, $2 $3 , can be assigned to the each "" range. I am trying : awk -F"]" '{print $1}' but it is printing the entire file. Not first field. The desired output needed for first field... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator

Hello All, I have a file, but I want to separate the file at a particular record with comma"," in the line Input file APPLE6SSAMSUNGS5PRICEPERPIECEDOLLAR600EACH010020340URX581949695US to Output file APPLE6S,SAMSUNGS5,PRICEPERPIECE,DOLLAR600EACH,010020340URX581949695,US This is for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: m6248m
11 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)