Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: General Purpose Date Script
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers General Purpose Date Script Post 302972456 by drl on Thursday 5th of May 2016 02:00:23 PM
Old 05-05-2016
Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I'm not certain whether I want to depend on outside locale or even the Perl locale module; this script sees the most use as a kludge on old systems ...
I think Corona688 and I have had a discussion about perl modules -- I tend to prefer to use them to make code shorter, and I think Corona688 likes his code to be as independent as possible.

I usually recommend this perl date code when the user (typically on older Solaris or AIX) cannot use GNU date or the dateuitls suite, so I definitely agree with Corona688's position in such situations.

Thanks again to Corona688 for taking the time to provide this.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for a general purpose System Monitor

Does anyone have any scripts or suggestions on a general purpose Unix/Linux monitoring tool? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the purpose of the following script?

whats the purpose of the following script? who could run it? To what is the script refering that exceeds 75%? The mailbox? What does sed 's/%//' do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (?) help or just general script

I have two files (___ represents blanks) Foo1 1000 345 456 1001 876 908 1002 ___ 786 1003 643 908 1004 345 234 and Foo2 1000 345 1001 876 1002 111 1003 643 1004 345 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to fill up disk space for testing purpose

Hello everyone I am new to this forum I am working on a project and needed a test script to fill up a disk partition /tmp/data to see how the program fails. The system I am working on is a redhat 5.3. Is there anything out there? Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dp100022
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of - (hypen) in script or command line

Hi, I am new for unix and I am following ABS guide. What is the purpose of - (hypen ) in the below command and What it will do in this?. Can anyone explain it in detail. Rest of the things in the below command I understood somewhat. (cd /source/directory && tar cf - . ) | (cd /dest/directory &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

General Purpose XML Processing

I've been kicking this around for a while now, I might as well post it here. v0.0.9, now properly supporting self-closing tags. v0.0.8, an important quoting fix and a minor change which should handle special <? <!-- etc. tags without seizing up as often. Otherwise the code hasn't changed much.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
6 Replies
DH_PERL(1)							     Debhelper								DH_PERL(1)

NAME
dh_perl - calculates Perl dependencies and cleans up after MakeMaker SYNOPSIS
dh_perl [debhelperoptions] [-d] [librarydirs...] DESCRIPTION
dh_perl is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${perl:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files. The program will look at Perl scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on perl or perlapi. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${perl:Depends}. dh_perl also cleans up empty directories that MakeMaker can generate when installing Perl modules. OPTIONS
-d In some specific cases you may want to depend on perl-base rather than the full perl package. If so, you can pass the -d option to make dh_perl generate a dependency on the correct base package. This is only necessary for some packages that are included in the base system. Note that this flag may cause no dependency on perl-base to be generated at all. perl-base is Essential, so its dependency can be left out, unless a versioned dependency is needed. -V By default, scripts and architecture independent modules don't depend on any specific version of perl. The -V option causes the current version of the perl (or perl-base with -d) package to be specified. library dirs If your package installs Perl modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_perl check those directories by passing their names on the command line. It will only check the vendorlib and vendorarch directories by default. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.8.3 Perl policy, version 1.20 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-09-12 DH_PERL(1)