Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SunOS 5.5.1 usage of Makefile command in make file Post 302971842 by jlliagre on Tuesday 26th of April 2016 09:08:34 AM
Old 04-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajujayanthy
I am new to Solaris and compilation using make files.
You might be new, but SunOS 2.5.1 is more archaeology that CS nowadays.
Quote:
1. Why is "Makefile" being used as a command? What does it signify? It is not defined anywhere in any other make file also.
There is no evidence in the posted material Makefile is used as a command. Nowhere is it executed. That would be quite surprising anyway.
Quote:
2. What is a .mac file in Solaris? what is it's purpose?
No specific purpose, there are no .mac type with Solaris, the developers might have chosen that extension for macros or whatever.
Quote:
3. What is the use of .def file in SOlaris? What is it's purpose?
Same as the above. The best guess would be some defines.

Last edited by jlliagre; 04-26-2016 at 05:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make and clean in a single rule in the makefile.

Hi, This stems from the following thread https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18299 I have a makefile which makes either executables or a shared library. i.e. make -f unix.mak will create the executables and make -f unix.mak libolsv will create the shared library. Since these have to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions about make -C in SunOS

I am using a SunOS to compile a project. The Makefile contains commands "$(MAKE) -C $$dir". However, in "man make" there is no -C option. I tried using MAKE=gmake but it failed too. My questions: 1. The make options for this SunOS is different from the gnu make options. Is it because of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yzhang
4 Replies

4. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Usage Monitor on Linux/SunOS Servers

ok, so i'm trying to write a shell script (not perl) that monitors memory usage on a server. but i'm confused as to what fields exactly determines that yes, memory is low on a particular server. it sounds simple enough, but it really isn't. what do I look for in the field below? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to make makefile

How do we create a shell script that creates a makefile? what if we want to use the #include header files too? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslokhan
2 Replies

7. Programming

Makefile No rule to make target

I am trying to create a makefile to build a program and am getting the following error: make -f tsimplex.mk make: *** No rule to make target `/main/tsimplex_main.cpp', needed by `tsimplex_main.o'. Stop. OPSYS = $(shell uname -s ) TARGET = tsimplex ROOTDIR = ../../.. GTSDIR =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile: mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh) When i do: make clean - the script is executed When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output: make: Nothing to be done for mytag What i want ? I want script.sh to be executed only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pufo
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Makefile on SunOS 5.11 Openindiana Hipster

SOLVED NOW Solution: Using bmake was the key. Ran into some few errors when using the compilers and the trick here was to first install the pkg system/header and then assign the working compiler in command line like this: bmake CC=/path/to/relevant/gcc CXX=/path/to/relevant/g++... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sometimespeter
0 Replies

10. Programming

Makefile instructions to create directories (CentOS7 , GNU Make 3.82)

Hello, My makefiles are set up to generate an environment specific build directory based on the local configuration and some values passed to make. It generally looks like, # compilers, may be passed to make CC++ = g++ FCOMP = gfortran # version of program, may be passed to make ver =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)