Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX Hardware Migration w/ HACMP...Advice Needed Post 302971783 by bakunin on Monday 25th of April 2016 04:39:33 PM
Old 04-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzair_rock
AIX version running is 7.1 TL3 SP4 and HA version is 6.1. Both are supported on the Power8s.
Current version for AIX 7.1 is TL3 SP6 and there is already 7.2 out there. I'd suggest at least the former because it fixes some problems with HACMP: on 7.1.3.4 one of the rsct-daemons is running wild and cluttering up the /var. You have either to install efixes (generally generating as many problems as it is solving) or update to the latest level.

Current version for HACMP is 7.1.3 and 6.1 is already EOL by September. Do yourself a favour and use this maintenance window to update to the as latest version as possible. DO NOT use any version below 7.1.3 if updating to 7.1! Many things (like the repo disks via NPIV with non-IBM storage) worked only in theory, not in practice. 7.1.3 is more or less stable. I have some 40-50 clusters running here and could go on for pages and pages about the workarounds and quick-fixes we had to use to get working clusters with the earlier versions of 7.1.

Quote:
As far as the outage goes, we do have a 2.5 hour window to re-configure the cluster.
You do not need to: as i said, create your LPARs when your old cluster is still working, from teh mksysbs (plus necessary updates, see above), create a NEW 7.1-cluster and test that until you are ready to make the move. You can pre-create the complete cluster-configuration into a series of commands now, because FINALLY the clmgr-command really works and it is possible to do a cluster-config via commandline! This (not having to navigate all these SMITTY-menus all the time) is by far the biggest relief since i work with HACMP.

Quote:
To change a service IP label/address definition:
You said you needed to use new IP-addresses anyway, so don't bother. Create your new cluster with the new addresses and test thoroughly, then make the transition basically by moving the data disks (they are NPIV, no?) to the new LPARs.

Quote:
Do you think, if after I move everything on the new Power8 (OS and SAN). I can change the service and bootip addresses using the above method and then try to start the cluster? Do you think it'll work?
It might work, but again: you don't need that. I can give you a complete procedure for setting up a (7.1-)-cluster and in fact it is 10 minutes work now, only a few commands. Far better and far easier than to navigate these endless SMIT-menus.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

/PS: don't get me wrong: SMITty is fine if you don't know exactly what you want to do and what format a certain command is. But for what i do daily and know exactly what and how to do SMITty is more a hindrance than a tool.
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Storage hardware - advice needed

I realise this is an odd request - but I need advice please.. I have two server - in different geographical locations.. The have 2 local 72gb disks which are mirrored. I need to get storage added to increase both to 300gb in total each and this needs to be mirrored in case of failure. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

4. Linux

Scripting advice needed

Evening all, Im trying to get a script that will: Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory Run a command on them (like chmod) Ask of you would like to continue Copy the files to another directory If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wiggins
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware issue advice

Hi all, I've got an issue with my PC and was wondering what you thought might be the issue. The problem manifests it'self in two ways (at least I'm assuming it's related). 1. I turn the power on at the wall and press the on button, but nothing happens. I have to wait for several seconds to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DougyC
3 Replies

6. Hardware

Hardware compatibility advice wanted.

If anyone here is successfully running Linux Mint and PC-BSD on two dedicated hard disk drives, (no emulator or partitioning stuff), using Phenom II or Athlon II CPU, I'd like to ask your help to pick hardware! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Hardware to software RAID migration

We have hardware RAID configured on our T6320 server and two LDOMs are running on this server. One of our disk got failed and replaced. After replacemnt the newly installed disk not detected by RAID controlled so Oracle suggested to upgrade the REM firmware. As this is the standalone production... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

VPar hardware migration - ERRATA document

Hi guys, I'm moving some vPars from BL860c I2 and BL870c I2 using the DRD clone and relocation. In some case, as instance to upgrade to BL870c I2, the ERRATA document reports some additional driver to be added to the image made by the DRD and then recompile the kernel before the move to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies