Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cut command: can't make it cut fields Post 302971678 by scrutinizerix on Saturday 23rd of April 2016 07:50:52 PM
Old 04-23-2016
Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of cut command so to have columns 1,3,4,9 cut (e.g. "left").

However when I'm trying to execute the command

Code:
cut -f 1,3,4,9 My_dir.tsv

nothing happens. I guess it's because the file isn't formatted properly with regard to implementing tabbed spaces. I imagined that automatic formatting, with the deployment of columns I see in output, emerging along with the result of ls is a .tsv file by default but I was wrong.

What should I do to make it work as intended? How do I make a real .tsv file of ls output?

My OS is OS X (Lion).
Cut command: can't make it cut fields-tsvpng

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields

I want to cut two coloums simulatiously and paste in some other file for ex: cut d ' ' -f3 -f4 xxx | paste yyy - > zzz; from the above i want to cut two fileds 3 and 4 and paste as last coloums of single file (zzz). how to solve this regards rajan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Last 3 Fields

I have a text: dsj khfksjdh <time> EST 2006 ab cgnr jkkjt <time> EST 2006 gfhdgjghg <time> EST 2006 fkdjh kjhsekjrh kdjhfkh jhdfkhfdkjh kjdf <time> EST 2006 In the above file i need to extract time from every line... which is always the third from the last... Pls help! Cheers, Bouren (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bourne
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut: get either one or two fields

Hello, I would like to extract one or two fields of a line. At the moment, I am extracting the first field of a line: command | cut -f 1 -d '.' > file The line can have two or three fields delimited with a dot. if three fields, I want to be able to get the first two ie if line =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the cut command read a column after logical statements are meet?

Hi, I want to write a code that will cut everything that is under a couple of columns in a text file but so far I am not even close to achieve something like that. Basically, I want to cut all the information from the columns and transfer the column information to a spread sheet. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pericopericone
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a separator string between fields in cut -c command

Hi All, I'm trying to view data using cut command for a fixed length file using the below command: cut -c 1-3,4-5 FALCON_PIS_00000000.dat I want to mention a separator say | (pipe) in between 1-3 and 4-5. Please let me know how to achieve this. Thanks in Advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Count Fields For Cut?

I am new to cut and I want to use the field option with a space delimiter on an Apache log file. For example, if I wanted to find the 200 HTTP code using cut in this manner on the file below cat access_abc.log | cut -d' ' -f7 | grep "200" 157.55.39.183 - - "GET /content/696-news041305... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharingsunshine
4 Replies
EXPAND(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 EXPAND(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand -- expand tabs to spaces, and vice versa SYNOPSIS
expand [-t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] unexpand [-a | -t tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The expand utility processes the named files or the standard input writing the standard output with tabs changed into blanks. Backspace characters are preserved into the output and decrement the column count for tab calculations. The expand utility is useful for pre-process- ing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, etc.) that contain tabs. The unexpand utility puts tabs back into the data from the standard input or the named files and writes the result on the standard output. The following options are available: -a (unexpand only.) By default, only leading blanks and tabs are reconverted to maximal strings of tabs. If the -a option is given, then tabs are inserted whenever they would compress the resultant file by replacing two or more characters. -t tab1,tab2,...,tabn Set tab stops at column positions tab1, tab2, ..., tabn. If only a single number is given, tab stops are set that number of column positions apart instead of the default number of 8. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of expand and unexpand as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The expand and unexpand utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. STANDARDS
The expand and unexpand utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The expand command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
October 13, 2006 BSD