Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to tar/rsync/rm multiple folder names Post 302970977 by robertkwild on Friday 15th of April 2016 06:37:07 AM
Old 04-15-2016
aahhh this programming bash script language is over my head, can you please advise of any good how tos for complete dummys as this is all going over my head

sorry

---------- Post updated at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:08 AM ----------

im messing about with the error code now, i want to see if its possible to email me if a certain command fails

---------- Post updated 04-15-16 at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous update was 04-14-16 at 11:50 AM ----------

Code:
rsync -a "${fSaveDir}".tar /archived_projects/

new code goes here

Code:
rm -f "${fSaveDir}".tar

inbetween these two lines of code i want it to either continue the script if the last command returned a code 0 (aka successful) but if it returns any over number, quit the script and email

i know this is possible but i dont know how to implement it

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: PLEASE! you have been told every time now that you should use CODE-tags. Could you please stop ignoring this request and actually do it?

Last edited by bakunin; 04-15-2016 at 10:06 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple folders to local machine (don't know folder names)

Hi. I'm trying to copy multiple folders from the remote machine to the local machine. I wrote a batch file to run an ftp window. The problem I am having is that the only command to copy files is mget *, and this copies only files, not folders. For example, ftp ts555 cd ts555/test ' test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenyburger
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files with similar names to folder

I have in directory /media/AUDIO/WAVE many .mp3 files with names like: my filename_01of02.mp3 my filename_02of02.mp3 Your File_01of06.mp3 Your File_02of06.mp3 etc.... In the same directory, /media/AUDIO/WAVE, I have many folders with names like 9780743579490 9780743579491 etc.. Inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing names of files in multiple folder

I have 1000's of directories which is named as numbers. Each directory contains multiple files. Each of these directories have a file named "att". I need to rename all the att files by adding the directory name followed by "_" then att for each of the directories. Directories 120 att... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move one folder to multiple folder...

Hi All, I have to requirement to write a shell script to move file from one folder (A) to another five folder (B,C,D,E,F) and destination folder should be blank. In not blank just skip. This script will run as a scheduler every 2 minutes. It will check number of files in folder A and move 1 to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peekuabc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

Good day, everyone! I'm very new to bash scripting. Our teacher gave us a task to create a script that basically does the same job the 'du' command does, with the difference that 'du' command gives an output in the form of <size> <folder name>and what we need is <folder name> <size>As for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script that would reproduce the output of 'du' command, but in a different way: what 'du' does is: <size> <folder name>and what is needed is <folder name> <size>We need to show only 10 folders which are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Locale::Codes::Script(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::Script(3)