Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Finding and renaming files with exceptions Post 302970284 by azurite on Monday 4th of April 2016 10:47:50 PM
Old 04-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Hi azurite,
First, a suggestion: Don't be afraid to try things and watch what happens!

And, another suggestion: Instead of searching the web to try to figure out what a utility on your system will do, read the manual page for that utility on your system. For instance, the command:
Code:
man find

will show you the manual page for the find utility on your system.

You still haven't told us what shell you're using.
Hello,

Thank you for the explanations. I think I'm beginning to understand it a bit better now. I work on ubuntu on the work computer so I can't really experiment right now lest I mess something up. I'm in the process of trying to install ubuntu on my laptop via virtualbox so hopefully I can start experimenting soon.
I think the work computer uses bash but I will check soon. Thank you for the instructions on how to do that.

I have one more question, I found this bit of commands in a tutorial that was somewhat related to my work and I was wondering if you could tell me what the command does?

Code:
[bash]mv *.bvec bvecs[/bash]
[bash]mv *.bval bvals[/bash]

Again, thank you for your assistance!
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags (not ICODE tags) for full-line an multi-line sample input, output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-05-2016 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: Change ICODE tags to CODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming the files

Hello, i wanna rename my files which names are written in movies.txt films.txt = amovie bmovie cmovie dmovie emovie and i wanna find this files and rename the files to 1_amovie ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbeard_06
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files, please help

I want to rename the files by taking part of the file and appending date to it. please help e.g. abc-390.csv xyz-908.csv desired format is abc_YYYYMMDD.csv This is what I have but it is not working for each in *.csv; do mv $each /abc/data/"`date '+test_%Y%M%M'`".csv done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqasim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files older than the current date and time and renaming and moving

Hi, I have a very urgent requirement here. I have to find all files in the specified directory but not in the sub directories(The directory name is stored in a variable) which are older than the current date as well as current time and rename it as filename_yyyymmddhhmmss.ext and move it into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files

Hello, I wanted to rename one file where filename contains space.. How can i rename in unix? The file name is ABC XYZ.TXT I wanted to rename this file as ABCXYZ.TXT. Any help is greatly appreciated... Regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files or adding a name in the beginning of all files in a folder

Hi All I have a folder that contains hundreds of file with a names 3.msa 4.msa 21.msa 6.msa 345.msa 456.msa 98.msa ... ... ... I need rename each of this file by adding "core_" in the begiining of each file such as core_3.msa core_4.msa core_21.msa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files

Hi i have to achieve the following i have files as xyz001.csv, xyz002.csv.......xyz0025.csv in a folder, i need to keep xyz001.csv as it is but want to remove the extra zero on filename from 10 say xyz0010 should be renamed to xyz010 xyz0025 should be renamed as xyz025 Note xyz... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files

Hello, I am looking for a command line that will rename name files : f700_abc_o_t_MASTERID_AS_AE_20130323.csv like this f700_abc_o_t_MASTERID_AS_AE_20130324.csv The great idea could be to get the date stamp 20130323 and change any part of it, instead of just change the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join -- wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **value_ptr); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function suspends execution of the calling thread until the target thread terminates, unless the target thread has already terminated. On return from a successful pthread_join() call with a non-NULL value_ptr argument, the value passed to pthread_exit() by the terminating thread is stored in the location referenced by value_ptr. When a pthread_join() returns successfully, the target thread has been terminated. The results of multiple simultaneous calls to pthread_join(), specifying the same target thread, are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is cancelled, the target thread is not detached. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_join() function will return zero. Otherwise, an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
pthread_join() will fail if: [EDEADLK] A deadlock was detected or the value of thread specifies the calling thread. [EINVAL] The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. SEE ALSO
wait(2), pthread_create(3) STANDARDS
pthread_join() conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
April 4, 1996 BSD