Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to print before and after lines then count of patterns Post 302969974 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 30th of March 2016 09:21:01 PM
Old 03-30-2016
We could simplify rdrtx1's the code to:

Code:
awk '
{l[NR]=$0;}
/serialNumber/ {c++; t++; for(i=NR-3; i<=NR+2; i++) o[i]=c; next}
{c=0}
END {
   for(i=1; i<=NR; i++) {
       if (o[i]) print l[i];
       if (o[i]>1 && !(o[i+1]))
            print "cnt: " o[i];
   }
   print "total count: " t+0;
}
' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines between two patterns inside a file

Hi, Im doing a script to find the number of lines included inside a file newly. These lines are in between #ifdef FLAG1 and #else or #endif or #else and #endif. I tried like this, awk '/#ifdef Flag1/,/#e/{print}' aa.c | wc -l awk '/#ifndef Flag1/,/#endif/{print}' aa.c | awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyadarshini
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines between two patterns in unix

Detroit Chicago Newyork Battlecreek Jackson Brooklyn How would I print only lines match between Detroit and Brooklyn used awk ? I don't want print Detroit and Brooklyn output should be : Chicago Newyork Battlecreek Jackson Thanks Jhonny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines between 2 matching patterns

Hi Guys, I have file like below, I want to print all lines between test1231233 to its 10 occurrence(till line 41) test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq23 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123131 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print between patterns AND a few lines before

I need to print out sections (varying numbers of lines) of a file between patterns. That alone is easy enough: sed -n '/START/,/STOP/' I also need the 3 lines BEFORE the start pattern. That alone is easy enough: grep -B3 START But I can't seem to combine the two so that I get everything between the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print only lines in between patterns?

Hi, I want to print only lines (green-italic lines) in between first and last strings in column 9. there are different number of lines between each strings. 10 AUGUSTUS exon 4558 4669 . - . 10.g1 10 AUGUSTUS exon 8771 8889 . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamo
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all lines between patterns

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement where I need to display all lines between 2 patterns except the line where the first pattern in it. I tried the following command using awk but it is printing all lines except the lines where the 2 patterns exist. awk '/TRANSF_/{ P=1; next } /Busy/ {exit} P'... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : to print the lines between two patterns

Hello experts, I have a text file from which I need to print all the lines between the patterns. Could anyone please help me with the perl script. names.txt ========= Badger Bald Eagle Bandicoot Bangle Tiger Barnacle Barracuda Basilisk Bass Basset Hound Beetle Beluga... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match 2 different patterns and print the lines

Hi, i have been trying to extract multiple lines based on two different patterns as below:- file1 @jkm|kdo|aas012|192.2.3.1 blablbalablablkabblablabla sjfdsakfjladfjefhaghfagfkafagkjsghfalhfk fhajkhfadjkhfalhflaffajkgfajkghfajkhgfkf jahfjkhflkhalfdhfwearhahfl @jkm|sdf|wud08q|168.2.1.3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print different multiple lines after two patterns?

Hello, I need to print some lines as explained below, TXT example 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 6666 7777 8888 6666 9999 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile]... DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such for- matted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.11 9 May 1997 fmt(1)