Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sprintf and system command in awk Post 302969857 by EAGL€ on Tuesday 29th of March 2016 10:30:26 AM
Old 03-29-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Not clear. You want to print WHAT as the second output field? Where does it come from? Field 14 of the input stream? Any conditions to apply?
I want to print Offernames like AAA, BOB.. Which I can strip from 14th field of gunzipped input files by using the SED command I have displayed above
14th field is actually complicated json field
I used see to strip what I want I know there could be awk scripts to strip Jason inputs..Briefly I need to add a field as an alphanumeric string which I can strip with sed
shown

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk system() command not working

I am using Sun Solaris 5.8 I am trying to run a system command such as ls and echo inside awk, but when I run the following code system echo is not displayed. bash-2.03$ ls | awk 'BEGIN { print "first print" system("echo system echo") print "second print" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

system command within awk

I was trying commands within awk. i got stuck here. i take 2 files. cat input first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth ninht tenthcat add *************** Nirbhay ***************i run the command awk '{ if ( NR == 5 ) { print system("cat add") "\n" $0 } else {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirbhay
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide status value from awk system command

Hi, When i use the system( ) function inside a awk, i am getting the ouput with a 0 appended in a new line. Can someone guide me to eliminate the extra line containing 0. Ex : awk -F"|" '{print system("convert.sh" $1}' The output is displayed with 0 in a new line. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muruganksk
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - System command not working

dear All, my awk system command isn't working or rather I'm missing something in my command. Appreciated , if anyone can assist me what exactly I'm missing ?? awk ' /^/ { > c=split($3,a,"/") ;for(n=1; n<=c; ++n) > { > if (system("test -d" /home/cubedata/20120104/"$1"/"a")) { > print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking system(cmd) inside awk command

Hi, I was searching for a way to grep 2 lines before and after a certain keyword, and I came across the following code.. awk "\$0 ~ /ORA-/ { cmd=\"awk 'NR>=\" NR-2 \" && NR<=\" NR+2 \"' init.ora\" system(cmd) }" input_file I could not understand how this works. What is system() ? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kulasekar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?

Hi I need your help, please How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?... for example: byte=substr(cadena,pos,2); system("grep -n byte mapeo.txt"); Does it exist a way? Thanks for advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris21
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: System command not working in awk

Hi, I have around 10 files in a folder in which I want to change the file format from tab(\t) to pipe(|) with some changes in the fields as well. Below is the code, while tmp file is getting generated but move command is not working, please help Following is the code awk -F"\t" '{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join with awk using sprintf

Hi, Trying to join 2 files with awk (file1 has variable number of fields; file 2 has constant number of fields) file1: hook1|AA|BB|CC|DD hook2|EE|FF file2: hook1|11|22 hook2|33|44 hook3|55|66 output: hook1|11|22|AA|BB|CC|DD hook2|33|44|EE|FF hook3|55|66 What I tried so far:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)