Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Merge two text files by two fields and mixed output Post 302969607 by RudiC on Thursday 24th of March 2016 12:45:14 PM
Old 03-24-2016
How about
Code:
awk  '
NR==FNR         {a[$1] = a[$1] $3 FS $4 SUBSEP
                 next
                }
($1 in a)       {n = split (a[$1], T, SUBSEP)
                 for (i=1; i<n; i++) print $3, T[i], $1, $2, ""
                }
' FS=";" OFS=";" file1 file2
7101875;3;TEST1TEST1;56153;AAA0708;
7101361;3;TEST1TEST1;56153;AAA0708;
7561171;3;TEST1TEST1;56153;BBB0708;
7104873;3;TEST2TEST2;89014;BBB0708;
7104873;4;TEST3TEST3;89014;BBB0708;
7104874;3;TEST2TEST2;89014;BBB0708;
7104874;4;TEST3TEST3;89014;BBB0708;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

output only numbers from mixed string

it must be late because I'm sure this is an easy task with grep sed or awk string would be anything mixing numbers letters and ) ( = output I need is just the numbers... but I just can't seem to get it to work. Any tips would be great :) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Merge Fields for Print Output

I've got a file with each record on a separate line and each record contains 34 fields separated by a colon and i'm trying to re-arrange the order of the fields and merge together certain fields separated by a slash (like field7/field28). I tried using an awk print statement like awk -F: 'BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
5 Replies

3. AIX

merge text files

Hello. Could you please help to know the command to merge multiple text files into one? I am thinking to use: cat f1.txt f2.txt f3.txt > f4.txt Is it okay to use cat command for same purpose - Or could there be any disadvantage in using it? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have several text files and want to merge into a single

Hello, I have several files that begin with db. in my directory and I would like to first take it from a specific word starting from $TTL until the end of the contents then do the same all the way down the directory then merge them into one txt file. Is this possible? I am using cygwin with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: merge two files and replace some fields

Need some code tweak: awk 'END { for (i=1; i<=n; i++) if (f2]) print f2] } NR == FNR { f2 = $1] = $0 next } $1 in f2 { delete f2 }1' FS=, OFS=, 2.csv 1.csv > 3.csvfile 1.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9...... file 2.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u10
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the multiple text files into one file

Hi All, I am trying to merge all the text files into one file using below snippet cat /home/Temp/Test/Log/*.txt >> all.txt But it seems it is not working. I have multiple files like Output_ServerName1.txt, Output_ServreName2.txt I want to merge each file into one single file and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two or more fields from two different files where there is non matching column?

Hi, Please excuse for often requesting queries and making R&D, I am trying to work out a possibility where i have two files field separated by pipe and another file containing only one field where there is no matching columns, Could you please advise how to merge two files. $more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to merge multiple text files vertically and place comma between fields

Hello expert friends, I'm writing a script to capture stats using sar and stuck up at report generation. I have around 10 files in a directory and need to merge them all vertically based on the time value of first column (output file should have only one time value) and insert comma after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

E-mail Output Merge Lines for Some Text..

Hi all. This is the content of the text file used for the e-mail: TM ICP-EDW BILLING REGISTER USAGE BREAKDOWN_01062014.csv TM_ICP_EDWH_FICL_13062014.TXT TM_ICP_EDWH_FICL_16062014.TXT TM_ICP_EDW_Detailed Payment Journal Report_13062014.txt TM_ICP_EDW_Detailed Payment Journal... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files (oh no, not again!)

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have always made good use of all the wise hints shown here. But this time I'm struggling with an issue that is driving me crazy. I have two text files, I have to merge them based on the first column, resulting file must contain all record from the first file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
4 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern-directed scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Ffs ] [ -v var=value ] [ -mrn ] [ -mfn ] [ -f prog [ prog ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified literally in prog or in one or more files specified as -f file. With each pattern there can be an associated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. The file name means the standard input. Any file of the form var=value is treated as an assignment, not a file name, and is executed at the time it would have been opened if it were a file name. The option -v followed by var=value is an assignment to be done before prog is exe- cuted; any number of -v options may be present. An input line is normally made up of fields separated by white space, or by regular expression fs. The fields are denoted $1, $2, ..., while $0 refers to the entire line. To compensate for inadequate implementation of storage management, the -mr option can be used to set the maximum size of the input record, and the -mf option to set the maximum number of fields. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. Pattern-action statements are separated by newlines or semi- colons. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if( expression ) statement [ else statement ] while( expression ) statement for( expression ; expression ; expression ) statement for( var in array ) statement do statement while( expression ) break continue { [ statement ... ] } expression # commonly var = expression print [ expression-list ] [ > expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ > expression ] return [ expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line delete array[ expression ]# delete an array element exit [ expression ] # exit immediately; status is expression Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for $0. String constants are quoted " ", with the usual C escapes recognized within. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators + - * / % ^ (exponentiation), and concatenation (indicated by white space). The operators ! ++ -- += -= *= /= %= ^= > >= < <= == != ?: are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. Multiple sub- scripts such as [i,j,k] are permitted; the constituents are concatenated, separated by the value of SUBSEP. The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file or >>file is present or on a pipe if |cmd is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. file and cmd may be literal names or parenthesized expressions; identical string values in different statements denote the same open file. The printf statement for- mats its expression list according to the format (see fprintf(2)). The built-in function close(expr) closes the file or pipe expr. The mathematical functions exp, log, sqrt, sin, cos, and atan2 are built in. Other built-in functions: length the length of its argument taken as a string, or of $0 if no argument. rand random number on (0,1) srand sets seed for rand and returns the previous seed. int truncates to an integer value utf converts its numerical argument, a character number, to a UTF string substr(s, m, n) the n-character substring of s that begins at position m counted from 1. index(s, t) the position in s where the string t occurs, or 0 if it does not. match(s, r) the position in s where the regular expression r occurs, or 0 if it does not. The variables RSTART and RLENGTH are set to the posi- tion and length of the matched string. split(s, a, fs) splits the string s into array elements a[1], a[2], ..., a[n], and returns n. The separation is done with the regular expression fs or with the field separator FS if fs is not given. sub(r, t, s) substitutes t for the first occurrence of the regular expression r in the string s. If s is not given, $0 is used. gsub same as sub except that all occurrences of the regular expression are replaced; sub and gsub return the number of replacements. sprintf(fmt, expr, ...) the string resulting from formatting expr ... according to the printf format fmt system(cmd) executes cmd and returns its exit status The ``function'' getline sets $0 to the next input record from the current input file; getline <file sets $0 to the next record from file. getline x sets variable x instead. Finally, cmd | getline pipes the output of cmd into getline; each call of getline returns the next line of output from cmd. In all cases, getline returns 1 for a successful input, 0 for end of file, and -1 for an error. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (with ! || &&) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions are as in regexp(6). Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regular expressions may also occur in relational expressions, using the operators ~ and !~. /re/ is a constant regular expression; any string (constant or variable) may be used as a regu- lar expression, except in the position of an isolated regular expression in a pattern. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines from an occurrence of the first pattern though an occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression expression in array-name (expr,expr,...) in array-name where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (matches) or !~ (does not match). A conditional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN and END do not combine with other patterns. Variable names with special meanings: FS regular expression used to separate fields; also settable by option -Ffs. NF number of fields in the current record NR ordinal number of the current record FNR ordinal number of the current record in the current file FILENAME the name of the current input file RS input record separator (default newline) OFS output field separator (default blank) ORS output record separator (default newline) OFMT output format for numbers (default %.6g) SUBSEP separates multiple subscripts (default 034) ARGC argument count, assignable ARGV argument array, assignable; non-null members are taken as file names ENVIRON array of environment variables; subscripts are names. Functions may be defined (at the position of a pattern-action statement) thus: function foo(a, b, c) { ...; return x } Parameters are passed by value if scalar and by reference if array name; functions may be called recursively. Parameters are local to the function; all other variables are global. Thus local variables may be created by providing excess parameters in the function definition. EXAMPLES
length > 72 Print lines longer than 72 characters. { print $2, $1 } Print first two fields in opposite order. BEGIN { FS = ",[ ]*|[ ]+" } { print $2, $1 } Same, with input fields separated by comma and/or blanks and tabs. { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Add up first column, print sum and average. /start/, /stop/ Print all lines between start/stop pairs. BEGIN { # Simulate echo(1) for (i = 1; i < ARGC; i++) printf "%s ", ARGV[i] printf " " exit } SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/awk SEE ALSO
sed(1), regexp(6), A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, The AWK Programming Language, Addison-Wesley, 1988. BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. The scope rules for variables in functions are a botch; the syntax is worse. AWK(1)