Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command? Post 302967853 by scrutinizerix on Monday 29th of February 2016 09:11:15 AM
Old 02-29-2016
Below are the screenshots of my actions in OS X Terminal. As you see there're no alert messages. I have cat'ed both files beforehand so that their contents became evident. If I pass -n option then nothing happens - both are kept in the state they used to prior running the command (as evidenced in the portion of their directory listing I invoked through ls -lahG command).
What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command?-test1png
What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command?-test2_1png

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

-c option in ping command

What does '-c' mean in ping command? Is this option specific to bash shell? Deepa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Why does the 'ps' command with -u option not working?

How can I use the 'ps' command to view current sessions but only for a given process/user, with the -u parm? In older versions of Unix, this used to work, but not in Sun Solaris. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-n option with grep command

Hi, what is the meaning of -n option before the grep command ? grep command searches for the specified string in the file tmp_crontab.txt but what does -n mean ? With Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

oracle processes with SOCKT in glance command....reason?

Hi Friends, I could see following oracle process in the glance command. i see nothing running in the database although. I tried google it but no success. Another team ,which needs all the processes on the server is complaining. Can someone help me what exactly are these sessions/ how to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable as a command option?

I am just learning shell scripting and already I found out I have the bad habit of thinking that it is similar to php or c. I learned some basics and now encountered this problem: On shell it is possible to type: $ date --date="2009-10-10 09:08:34" Sat Oct 10 09:08:34 CEST 2009 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command option substitution?

Hi folks, I totally dislike asking questions in forums but this one eats up to much of my time I need to spend on other topics. I have a shell-script in which I call a terminal. I want to invoke bash inside the terminal and print a message inside bash with aid of a here document. See... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluntroller
7 Replies
show(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   show(1)

NAME
show - show (list) messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
show [+folder] [msgs] [-draft] [-[no]header] [-help] [-showproc program] [-noshowproc] [options to showproc] OPTIONS
Displays the draft message, or the current message in your +drafts folder, if you have one set up. You cannot give a msgs argument when you use this option. Displays a one-line header before the message. The header consists of the name of the folder and the message number. This is the default behavior. It can be suppressed with the -noheader option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Specifies an alternative program to list messages. The default is to use the program defined by the showproc: entry in the file. You can give options to the showproc program at the command line. These are passed directly to showproc by show. (If you specify an option that has a numerical value, leave no space between the argument and the value. See RESTRICTIONS for more information.) If the -noshowproc option is specified, /bin/cat is used instead of showproc. The MH command mhl can be used as a showproc to show messages in a more uniform format. See mhl(1) for more details. If you are going to use the same showproc all the time, it is advisable to specify it in your file. See mh_profile(4) for more details. The defaults for this command are as follows: +folder defaults to the current folder msgs defaults to the current message -header DESCRIPTION
Use show to display the contents of the current message. You can specify alternative messages or folders by using the +folder or msgs argu- ments. If a folder is given, it becomes the current folder. The last message shown becomes the current message. You can specify a number of messages or a range of messages using the msgs argument. If you specify more than one message, show prompts for a <RETURN> prior to listing each message. Typically, the messages are listed exactly as they are, with no reformatting. A program named by the showproc component in the file is invoked to do the listing, and any options not recognized by show are passed along to that program. The default program is more(1). By default, the show command use the more program to list each message, a page at a time. When the end of the page is reached, it waits for a <RETURN> or a space. If you press <RETURN>, show prints the next line. If you press the space bar, it prints the next screen of data. At the end of the message, show automatically returns you to the system prompt. Press q to quit before the end of the message. If the profile entry Unseen-Sequence: is present and non-empty, then show will remove each of the messages shown from the sequences named by the profile entry. RESTRICTIONS
The -header option does not work when msgs expands to more than one message. If the showproc is mhl, then this problem can be circumvented by referencing the messagename field in the mhl format file. The command show updates your mail environment before showing the message. Hence show may mark messages as seen before you actually see them. However, this is generally not a problem, unless you are using the unseen messages mechanism, and you interrupt show while it is showing unseen messages. If you use the showproc switch to specify an alternative viewer, leave no space between the options specified with the viewer and their values. For example, if you want to use the more command to scroll through messages 6 through 10 in your inbox folder, and you want to pause every five lines, you would enter the following command, where there is no space between the option n and the value 5: % show +inbox 6-10 -showproc more -n5 If there is space between the option n and the value 5, the command interprets 5 as a message number to view. If your showprocviewer is mhl, then show uses a built-in mhl: it does not actually run the mhl program. Hence, if you define your own show- proc, do not call it mhl since show will not run it. If more(1) is your showproc (which is the default), then avoid running show in the background with only its standard output piped to another process. You should re-direct the diagnostic output of show as well For example, in the following incorrect example, show will go into a tty input state: % show | print & For users of csh, the correct command is: % show |& print & For users of sh, the correct command is: % show 2>&1 | print & PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's Mail directory Unseen-Sequence: To name sequences denoting unseen messages showproc: Program to show messages EXAMPLES
In the first example, show displays the contents of message 36 in the current folder: % show 36 In the next example, the pr(1) program is used to list the current message: % show -showproc pr FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
more(1), mhl(1), next(1), pick(1), prev(1), scan(1) show(1)