Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Program to combine two lines in a file on checking the first character of each line Post 302967689 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 26th of February 2016 09:22:44 AM
Old 02-26-2016
Hello jayaP,

Please use code tags for showing inputs also which you are using into your posts too.
Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
awk '($0 !~ /^[0-9]/){sub(/,+$/,X,A);A=A?A OFS $0:$0;next} ($0 ~ /^[0-9]/ && A){sub(/,+$/,X,A);print A;A=""}{A=$0}END{sub(/,+$/,X,A);print A}' OFS= ""  Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
5,1,32784506,6/3/2015,6/3/2015,9:15:22,6/3/2015,9:15:34,0,16,0,ValidateClass [TGWFTRNBO]]
6,1,32784506,6/3/2015,6/3/2015,9:15:22,6/3/2015,9:15:34,0,16,0,ValidateClass [TGWFTRNBO]]
7,1,32784506,6/3/2015,6/3/2015,9:15:22,6/3/2015,9:15:34,0,16,0,ValidateClass [TGWFTRNBO]]The operative account
10,1,32784506,6/3/2015,6/3/2015,9:15:22,6/3/2015,9:15:34,0,16,0,ValidateClass [TGWFTRNBO]]

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking ^M character in file

i have the file <infile> with ^M charactrer. i just wnt to know through script whether the file have ^M character or not. Please let me know the script steps to check the same. Thanks in Advance Ganesh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines into single line

Hi All , I have a file with below data # User@Host: xyz @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined: n2 SET timestamp=1396852200; select count(1) from table; # Time: 140406 23:30:01 # User@Host: abc @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
SECURETTY(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SECURETTY(5)

NAME
securetty - file which lists terminals from which root can log in DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/securetty contains the names of terminals (one per line, without leading /dev/) which are considered secure for the transmis- sion of certain authentication tokens. It is used by (some versions of) login(1) to restrict the terminals on which root is allowed to login. See login.defs(5) if you use the shadow suite. On PAM enabled systems, it is used for the same purpose by pam_securetty(8) to restrict the terminals on which empty passwords are accepted. FILES
/etc/securetty SEE ALSO
login(1), login.defs(5), pam_securetty(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-03-29 SECURETTY(5)