Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern Post 302967429 by Wes Kem on Tuesday 23rd of February 2016 07:11:33 PM
Old 02-23-2016
Don -Thanks for the code! It works great!

I did modify to use IGNORECASE=1 and it handled case differences OK.

I also added the code to be in a loop so it will made the code changes to all code beginning with a given prefix.

Code:

#!/bin/ksh
 #Combine lines that start with "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" and does not end in semicolon
for f in pre*; do
awk 'BEGIN{IGNORECASE=1} /libname/&&/DB2/ && $0 !~ /;$/ {
 printf("%s ", $0)
 j = 1
 next
}
j { for(i = 1; i < NF; i++)
  printf("%s ", $i)
 printf("%s%s", $NF, (j = ($NF !~ /;$/)) ? " " : "\n")
 next
}
1' "$f" > fifo &&
mv fifo $f
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating multiple lines to one line if match pattern

Hi all, I've been working on a script which I have hit a road block now. I have written a script using sed to extract the below data and pumped into another file: Severity............: MAJORWARNING Summary: System temperature is out of normal range. Severity............: MAJORWARNING... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: phixsius
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert line with between two consecutive lines that match special pattern?

I have following pattern in a file: 00:01:38 UTC abcd 00:01:48 UTC 00:01:58 UTC efgh 00:02:08 UTC 00:02:18 UTC and I need to change something like the following 00:01:38 UTC abcd 00:01:48 UTC XXXX 00:01:58 UTC efgh 00:02:08 UTC XXXX (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjnight
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk-sed help : to remove first and last line with pattern match:

awk , sed Experts, I want to remove first and last line after pattern match "vg" : I am trying : # sed '1d;$d' works fine , but where the last line is not having vg entry it is deleting one line of data. - So it should check for the pattern vg if present , then it should delete the line ,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print pattern match line and following lines

Data: Pattern Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data Data ... With awk, how do I print the pattern matching line, then the subsequent lines following the pattern matching line. Varying number of lines following the pattern matching line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script for pattern match and line break

Hi, I have input which reads like 9089.00 ----- kl jkjjljk lkkk; (909099) 9097.00 ----- HGJJHHJ jcxkjlkjvhvlk jhdkjksdfkhfskd 898.00 ----- HHHH I am trying to do something like this - As soon as I found pattern match "XYZ.00-----" it will insert a line break to the input and will go to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)