Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal Post 302966638 by RudiC on Monday 15th of February 2016 03:07:48 AM
Old 02-15-2016
I think the script's shebang #!/bin/bash is malformed, so it doesn't use bash as the interpreter.

Did you consider bash's select statement for your menu?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Script to launch terminal window?

Hi, I am a newbie here. Trying to find a way of writing a script to launch multiple terminal or console windows on solaris 9. I used to be able to do this using cmdtool on older versions of solaris and it was even possible to configure the size and screen position of the window and the title. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omerta
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help writing an Applescript to launch a specific Terminal Command...

I developed a script in Lingon (which is an automated script editor developed for OS X) that is used to automatically restart programs only if they crash. The script itself does just that, but I only want it to load if I'm going to use the specific application that it's designed to protect. In... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
3 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Need help writing an Applescript to launch a specific Terminal Command...

I developed a script in Lingon (which is an automated script editor developed for OS X) that is used to automatically restart programs only if they crash. The script itself does just that, but I only want it to load if I'm going to use the specific application that it's designed to protect. In the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
2 Replies

4. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I launch a command on an existing terminal in unix using PERL

Hello, I have a PERL-TK based GUI from which I want to launch a command on an existing UNIX terminal (this is also the parent terminal for this perl based gui window). The command I want to launch is interactive (there is no intention to interact with that command from the same PERL gui i.e. no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnuragJindal
2 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Can't launch x11 remotely from terminal

After I installed OS X Lion I haven't been able to launch x11 remotely (using ssh) from Terminal. It works fine locally, and also remotely directly from the Xterm. I log in to the unix server at my university from the terminal like this: ssh -l -X login@host.com This used to launch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnyrf
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos

After installing centos iam not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos. However iam able to see the Open Terminal menu, when i right click and it is not working. let me know what are the things i need to check.:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pbpaste to application in terminal

Is it possible to execute a pbpaste command to an application or current application in focus? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing command to another graphical terminal

So, I'm in a graphical terminal (xfce4-terminal) and I was wondering, would there be a way to type a command, and it run in a new terminal window?? An example would be like, say that I want to open a .txt file, but I want it in a different window, instead of the one that I'm currently using because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)