Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Move multipe files to corresponding directories Post 302966632 by spirospap on Monday 15th of February 2016 02:12:17 AM
Old 02-15-2016
Yes, this works perfectly also but originally the empty directories are not there. I create them using code below

Code:
 #create filename list text
$ls -1 directory/filter* > names.txt
#get first 21 characters of the name only and remove duplicates
#create unique-clean filename list text
$cut -c-21 names.txt | grep -v filter|uniq > namesUC.txt
#make directories 
$cat namesUC.txt | xargs mkdir

Is there a way to have the tester include the creation of the directories with the corresponding name as in the example?

Thanks

Last edited by Don Cragun; 02-15-2016 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Change ICODE tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with command to Move files by X number to seperate directories

Hello, I need help finding a script that will allow me to move files from one directory to another directory 10k files at a time. I have a directory that has 100 K files in it. I need to have those 100k files broken apart to separate directories each with 10k files in them. Here is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geo_Bean
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading only first record from the multipe directories

Hi All, I have a requirement, I had a parent directory Land under that we have sub directories Yesterday, Today and Tommorrow And we have a file test.txt under the above directories Yesterday, Today and Tommorrow The data in the file test.txt under Yesterday folder is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somu_june
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move several files into specific directories with a loop

Hello, I'm a first time poster looking for help in scripting a task in my daily routine. I am new in unix but i am attracted to its use as a mac user. Bear with me... I have several files (20) that I manually drag via the mouse into several named directories over a network. I've used rsync... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SonnyClark
14 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)