Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware SAS or SSD for Ubuntu 14.04 and data analysis Post 302966368 by cmccabe on Thursday 11th of February 2016 09:00:36 AM
Old 02-11-2016
SAS or SSD for Ubuntu 14.04 and data analysis

I am in the process of building a workstation and have a question related to performance. I am a scientist who deals with big data (average file size 30-50gb). My OS is ubuntu 14.04 and so far I have a 128gb dual xeon E5-2630 with 6 cores each. I/O buffering is an issue so I am adding a 256/512? PCIe card and either 2 SSD or SAS drives for the OS and software. Since the PCIe will be separate its main purpose will be for file transfer, so would a SAS or SSD be a better fit for the OS? I am leaning towards SAS for the buffering issue, but wanted to ask more knowledgeable users. I forgot to mention that there will be a separate 1 or 2TB drive. Any recommendations for the size of the SAS or SSD? Thanks Smilie.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

help needed- data analysis-table-chart-2d plot software

Hi all, I posted the same message under 'Kaleidagraph like software for Ubuntu' thread. I guess there may not be many people familiar with Kaleidagraph. So I post my message under another subject name. I need a tool for Ubuntu 8.10, -which is quick and easy to learn and use (as I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apprentice
1 Replies

2. BSD

Using SSD in FreeBSD

Now that SSD drives are becoming mainstream, I had a few questions on installing a SSD drive in a FreeBSD environment. Can FreeBSD be made SSD aware, that is, somehow let FreeBSD know that reads and writes should be limited or deferred to extend the disk's life? Is there a setting for wear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

What is the best tools for performance data gathering and analysis?

Dear Guru, IHAC who complaint that his CentOS is getting performance issue. I have to help him out of there. Could you please tell me which tools is better to gathering the whole system performance data? -- CPU/Memory/IO(disk & Network)/swap I would like the tools could be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with analysis data based on particular column content

Input file: Total_counts 1306726155 100% Number_of_count_true 855020282 Number_of_count_true_1 160014283 Number_of_count_true_2 44002825 Number_of_count_true_3 18098424 Number_of_count_true_4 24693745 Number_of_count_false 115421870 Number_of_count_true 51048447 Total_number_of_false ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data analysis, Regular Expression - Unix

Hey every one! I have a dataset like this : 1 100 1 0 5 100 1 8 7 50 1 0 7 100 2 0 10 20 1 8 10 30 1 8 10 100 3 8 15 50 5 0 20 90 1 0 20 99 9 0 I wanna check if the 4th column is 0 or 8 If it's zero write the 1st column itself, if it's 8 write sum of 1st and second something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should I format my SSD with?

Hello All, I recently received a new SSD that I am going to use for the purpose of Booting Virtual Machines. I use VMWare Player to boot Windows Guest Operating Systems onto my Linux Laptop. I currently have a SSD drive that I use for this exact same purpose that is formatted as ext3 and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies
ubuntu-dev-tools(5)						File Formats Manual					       ubuntu-dev-tools(5)

NAME
ubuntu-dev-tools - Configuration for the ubuntu-dev-tools package. DESCRIPTION
The ubuntu-dev-tools package is similar in scope to the devscripts(1) package, providing a collection of scripts which may be of use to Ubuntu and Debian developers or others wishing to build Debian packages. Some of these scripts have options which may be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. These options are configured in devscripts.conf(5). All variables are described in the script's manpages. Package-wide variables begin with "UBUNTUTOOLS" and are listed below. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using the --no-conf command-line option. ENVIRONMENT
All ubuntu-dev-tools configuration variables can be set (and overridden) by setting them in the environment (unlike devscripts). In addition, several scripts use the following environment variables: UBUMAIL Overrides DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME when the target is clearly Ubuntu. Can either contain an e-mail address or Full Name <email@example.org>. DEBEMAIL, DEBFULLNAME As in devscripts(1). PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: UBUNTUTOOLS_BUILDER This specifies the preferred test-builder, one of pbuilder (default), sbuild, pbuilder-dist. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The preferred Debian archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The preferred Debian security archive mirror. Should be of the form http://security.debian.org (no trailing slash). If not speci- fied, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_PORTS_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ports.ubuntu.com (no trailing slash). If not specified, the mas- ter will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_LPINSTANCE The launchpad instance to communicate with. e.g. production (default) or staging. UBUNTUTOOLS_MIRROR_FALLBACK Whether or not to fall-back to the master archive mirror. This is usually the desired behaviour, as mirrors can lag the masters. If on a private network with only a local mirror, you may want to set this to no. One of yes (default) or no. UBUNTUTOOLS_UPDATE_BUILDER Whether or not to update the test-builder before each test build. One of yes or no (default). UBUNTUTOOLS_WORKDIR The directory to use for preparing source packages etc. When unset, defaults to a directory in /tmp/ named after the script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manpage was written by Stefano Rivera <stefanor@ubuntu.com>. ubuntu-dev-tools December 19 2010 ubuntu-dev-tools(5)