Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recover failed system disk
Operating Systems Solaris Recover failed system disk Post 302966360 by hicksd8 on Thursday 11th of February 2016 06:28:10 AM
Old 02-11-2016
It seems to me that the main thing you need to do is save whatever files you can from the root filesystem that you have no backup of.

You should be able to mount it read-only onto your new O/S (or you could boot into single-user from CD/DVD and mount it under that).

If you have other storage sufficient available you could then attempt to 'dd' the whole raw partition off to a file and/or attempt to find/cpio the whole filesystem off to an archive.

The comments you have already made lead me to assume that you have quite a bit of experience of Solaris so I haven't gone into much detail.

What RAID controller is it? Make/model?

When you say that fsck doesn't straighten out the filesystem what command are you using? If you're using a "-n" flag then it will test the filesystem without correcting anything. I definitely would not use a "-y" flag because the filesystem could be damaged beyond repair before you can stop the operation. I would use neither flag and just see what questions it asks. I would also perhaps use the (often undocumented) flag "-o full" to examine the whole filesystem although this could take a very long time. Again, don't use -y or -n so you can abort if needed.

---------- Post updated at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:26 AM ----------

I guess the main point I'm making is to mount the filesystem read-only and then back it up. If you subsequently lose that filesystem completely, you can get some data back from archive.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scsi Disk Failed

My WS boot disk has failed so when i want to boot system (by OK boot -s or Ok boot disk0 ) i get these mesgs: disk read error boot :can not find misc/sparc9v/krtld boot:error loading interperetor (misc/sparc9v/krtld) Elf64 read error. boot failed. although it's probed ,finally i try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to recover Hp-ux O/S Disk from Mirro Disk

Hi All of my unix forum friends. I mirrored my hp-ux o/s disk with the help of LVM on a disk array. Can any one tell me the procedure if the O/S disk fails then how could i recover the system disk from mirrored disk Regards' Alam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: waqaralam
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover DIsk and make bootable

Hello all, I'm trying to recover from backup file to a new system with a new disk. I'm able to partition my new hard drive the same way as my old drive, but I'm unable to boot off of it. I have set the fdisk to toogle as a boot flag. But it does not seem to be working. Does anyone know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to recover system file

Hi everyone I have a sun fire v880 server there having a system file problem it gets currupted. i haven't taken backup of that.i want to recover system file. i have not any tape drive ,CDDRIVE & machine is also not in network. so how i can recover system file. Is there any procedure for that or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to replace failed disk?

Dear all Please can any one explain me how to replace failed disk in Solaris 10. Please tell me the step by step procedure. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
9 Replies

6. Solaris

How to recover root file system

Please can anyone explain me how to take a backup of root file system and how to recover it if it is corrupted. please explain me in detail (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
1 Replies

7. SCO

Recover data from failed Hard disk in SCO OpenServer 5.06

One hard disk fail to mount (/dev/data). I had run "fsck /dev/data" then some error occured "unrecoverable error reading SCSI Disk 1 dev 1/104". I need to recover data from disk. please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar9919
1 Replies

8. Solaris

recover a corrupted solaris10 system /usr/lib

did something very dump under /usr/lib, eg: overwite a bunch of files from a similar system's /usr/lib, while the system is live.. I have no backup on this..it crashed...and came up with a bunch of device driver load errors and hung... This is Solaris10 update 7 .. I wonder if I could do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies

10. Solaris

Need to recover/move diskgroup from failed host to another host

Hi All I am having VxVm on two Solaris hosts. host1 is using disk group dgHR. right now this server went down due to hardware fault. Not I need to import this dgHR into host2 server. Please let me know the procedure for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)