Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to copy only some lines from very big file? Post 302965774 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 2nd of February 2016 11:59:08 PM
Old 02-03-2016
If you have latest grep you have below options in grep
Context Line Control
Quote:
-A NUM, --after-context=NUM
Print NUM lines of trailing context after matching lines. Places a line containing a group separator (--) between contiguous
groups of matches. With the -o or --only-matching option, this has no effect and a warning is given.
-B NUM, --before-context=NUM
Print NUM lines of leading context before matching lines. Places a line containing a group separator (--) between contiguous
groups of matches. With the -o or --only-matching option, this has no effect and a warning is given.
-C NUM, -NUM, --context=NUM
Print NUM lines of output context. Places a line containing a group separator (--) between contiguous groups of matches. With
the -o or --only-matching option, this has no effect and a warning is given.
or you can use awk

awk 'c-->0;/pattern/{c=98}' Infile
This User Gave Thanks to vidyadhar85 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy only the initial 10 lines from a file to another

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting. I want to copy initial few lines(say first 10 lines) from a file to another file. There is no "head" command in our embedded system. sed & awk is there which I believe will do that, but I dont know how to. This is linux 2.6 (embedded) So please help me.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Deleting lines from big file.

Hi, I have a big (2.7 GB) text file. Each lines has '|' saperator to saperate each columns. I want to delete those lines which has text like '|0|0|0|0|0' I tried: sed '/|0|0|0|0|0/d' test.txt Unfortunately, it scans the file but does nothing. file content sample:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy lines that starts with either 3 or 4 into new file?

Hi Guys, I have an awk script that would search the input file for line that starts with a number 3 and copies into a new text file. I want to extend this script to find the lines that either starts with 3 or a or b and copy all those lines into the new file. Here is what I have so far:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amith821
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete first 100 lines from a BIG File

Hi, I need a unix command to delete first n (say 100) lines from a log file. I need to delete some lines from the file without using any temporary file. I found sed -i is an useful command for this but its not supported in my environment( AIX 6.1 ). File size is approx 100MB. Thanks in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unohu
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Files From a big list

Requirement: When I do ls -ltr /home/data/orders I get a huge list of files, I need to copy that last 50 to another directory say /home/work/ later, I will do my ETL process and then again I need to copy from 51 to 100 and so on. What is the command to copy files specifying 1 to 50... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to extract certain lines from big file

Hi All, I am trying to get some lines from a file i did it with while-do-loop. since the files are huge it is taking much time. now i want to make it faster. The requirement is the file will be having 1 million lines. The format is like below. ##transaction, , , ,blah, blah... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
38 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy lines from x to y to another file

OS : RHEL 7.2 Shell : bash I have a file which has lines like below I want to copy from 2nd line to the 6th line and copy(redirect) those lines to another file. $ cat patterns.txt hello world hello asia hello europe hello africa hello america hello antartica hello... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
9 Replies
TRACEROUTE(1)                                                      User Commands                                                     TRACEROUTE(1)

NAME
traceroute - Trace the route to a host SYNOPSIS
traceroute [OPTION...] HOST DESCRIPTION
Print the route packets trace to network host. -f, --first-hop=NUM Set initial hop distance, that is the time-to-live. -g, --gateways=GATES List of gateways for loose source routing. -I, --icmp Use ICMP ECHO as probe. -m, --max-hop=NUM Set maximal hop count (default is 64). -M, --type=METHOD Use METHOD (icmp or udp) for traceroute operations, defaulting to udp. -p, --port=PORT Use destination PORT port (default is 33434). -q, --tries=NUM Send NUM probe packets per hop (default is 3). --resolve-hostnames Resolve hostnames. -t, --tos=NUM Set type of service (TOS) to NUM. -w, --wait=NUM Wait NUM seconds for response (default is 3). -?, --help Give this help list. --usage Give a short usage message. -V, --version Print program version. GNU inetutils 2015-05-15 TRACEROUTE(1)