Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to run multiple jobs and it's dependent jobs Post 302965550 by Don Cragun on Saturday 30th of January 2016 05:31:36 PM
Old 01-30-2016
My old eyes are having difficulty deciphering the names of your jobs. And, with lines running through or behind some jobs, not all of the dependencies are clear.

Do you really have to read the log files to determine whether a job completed successfully? Why aren't your jobs written to exit with a zero exit status on successful completion and a non-zero exit status on failure? If you do have to decipher log files, what are the names of the log files?

What arguments need to be passed to your jobs? What I/O redirections need to be set up for your jobs?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a Script to run series of batch jobs on unix platform

Im new to unix shell scripting, I have to run batch jobs on unix. for example i have 5 jobs. first 2 can kickoff parallely. after completely finishing the 2 previous jobs the 3 job should kick off..once 3rd is over 4 th and 5th can kick off parallely. Each jobs run for 1 or 2 hours each. How to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venki311
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can i make two dependent jobs into cron?

Hi all, How can i make two dependent jobs into crontab? means after the first job the second job should run in a single crontab entry in unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 script or multiple scripts?? - check files, run jobs

Question for anyone that might be able to help: My objective is to eheck if a file (a source file) exists in a directory. If it does then, I'd like to call an application (Informatica ETL file...not necessary to know) to run a program which extracts data and loads it into multiple targets. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple jobs from single shell script

Hi all, I have developed a shell script where I am executing datastage jobs.This script will be further placed in enterprise scheduler to trigger it at particulat time. I have around 300 jobs , I am passing jobnames to script as a paramere. So is it possible I can trigger all jobs from one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script to check multiple jobs runninng status

Hi Folks, Please help me ,I need a unix shell script to check for multiple jobs running. if there are multiple backup Jobs running then it should be trigger an email . Thanks, Anand T (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nandu67
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run multiple cron jobs?

I have two scripts which I'm tying to run one after the other- this is what I've tried: 00 14 * * * /path/one.sh && /path/two.sh I've also tried putting each script on a different line: 00 14 * * * /path/one.sh 00 14 * * * /path/two.sh Can this be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: $shell_Learner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file and run multiple jobs

I have a txt file line1 line2 line3 $!/bin/sh cat /tmp/lus.txt | while read line do esxcli storage vmfs unmap -u $lin -n 4000 done this works but does in one line at a time. how do I do all lines at once simutaeously? Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdubb123
4 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)