Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with while loop?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue with while loop? Post 302965458 by svajhala on Friday 29th of January 2016 10:07:14 AM
Old 01-29-2016
Issue with while loop?

Hi,

I have prepared a script to search for backup file information on the Linux server. Script works fine for the most part except the echo statement inside an IF conditional block displays the message ''snapshot directory not found on xxxxx" even though the .snapshot directory is found a specified path. Here is the code.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fdate=`date "+%Y-%m-%d"`
#set -x
df -h | grep sbl| awk '{print $5}' > /home/greg/fs.out
if [ ! -s /home/greg/fs.out ]
then
 echo "No netapp filesystems found"
 exit 1
else
 echo "netapp filesystems found. continuing to the next step"
while read line
do
echo $line
if [ ! -d "${line}"/.snapshot ]
then
echo "snapshot directory not found on "$line""
else
  cd ${line}/.snapshot
  latest_bkp=`ls -l |grep -v snapmirror | tail -1|awk '{print $9}'`
  bkp_fldr_timestamp=`echo "$latest_bkp"|cut -f3 -d .|cut -f1 -d _`
        if [ ${fdate} != ${bkp_fldr_timestamp} ]
        then
                echo "Today's backup is missing for $line on `hostname`"
        else
                echo "File system backup has been taken for $line on `hostname`"
        fi
fi
done <  /home/greg/fs.out
fi
rm /home/greg/fs.out
exit 0

Here's the output when I execute the script.

Code:
[greg@sbldev01 ~]$ ./fs_bkpchk.sh
netapp filesystems found. continuing to the next step

snapshot directory not found on
/sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_01
File system backup has been taken for sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_01 on sbldev01

/sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_02
File system backup has been taken for /sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_02 on sbldev01

/sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_03
File system backup has been taken for /sblmnt/sb_devm2_sbl_03 on sbldev01

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With A For Loop Issue

I was wondering how I can modify this for loop, so it only loops through the filenames that do not have an ".old" extension. for filename in $(ls "$1") do echo $filename | grep '\.old$' > /dev/null if then mv $1/$filename $1/$filename.old fi done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ralts01
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop issue

Hi, Following is my code and the file FILE_LIST_EXCESS.txt has 40 file names in it while read LineIn do echo ${LineIn} `ftp -vin << END_INPUT >> ${PID}_DS_GET_Log.log 2>&1 open servername user userid password cd FileDir get ${LineIn} END_INPUT`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop issue

I have 2 files one of them has all the all mac addresses and the other one has all the ip addresses. Basically, I want to loop thru those 2 files and generate a configuration like below: host www184.domain.com { hardware ethernet 00:13:72:3B:B4:3A; fixed-address 192.168.0.184; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkkk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop issue

function ext { echo "THANKS & WELCOME BACK" } function upc { echo "TO EXPORT UPROC GIVE UPROC NAME PER LINE IN THE input.txt and PRESS Y" echo "TO GO BACK PRESS 99" read parm0 if ; then start elif ; then for i in `cat input.txt` ; do echo $i $UXEXE/uxext upr upr=$i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kojo
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

until loop issue.

Hi, my script is waiting for 3 files to come to a folder for 30 min but even when all the files arrive in the folder it's still waiting for these three files. Files can come with in 2 min and I want it to start processing them immediately after all the files arrive in the folder. until ; do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpartap
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for-while loop issue

sup experts..i had a script which was bugging me..was hoping someone could point out the issue here Input file: space separated 2 columns I wanted to print out the 2 columns after assigning them to variables ( bascially the same output but iterate through line by line ). The code worked... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_newbie
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with using While loop

Hi, I am trying to move a file from remote server to local server and when the transfer completes successfully i call a script in remote server to remove the file which was successfully transferred. I do this by first getting the list of file in remote server and move the text file to local... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: funonnet
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop issue

Hi, i=0 t5=6000001 while do i=`expr $i + 1` t5=`expr $t5 + 1` echo $t5 done I am able to increment "col3" value but unable to get col1,col2 value. Input: t1=10001 t2=abc t3=ghkc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with for loop

Hi Team, I have for loop in my shell script. Which basically loop through all files in the directory, When some files are in the directory it works just fine. But if there are no files at all..still the for loop try to execute. Please help. Below is the code. #!/bin/ksh echo "Program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue when doing a loop

Hi, I just have started learning shell scripting (sh). Why do i only get the date? while read dt do echo "Date : ${dt} sed -n '/${dt}/,/${dt}/p' file1.log | grep -w ERROR done < date1.dat INPUT - date1.dat 2019-04-05 04:58:25 2019-04-05 04:58:26 2019-04-05 05:00:56... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: margel
3 Replies
AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)					  System Administration Commands					 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)

NAME
amzfs-snapshot - Amanda script to create zfs snapshot DESCRIPTION
amzfs-snapshot is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It create a zfs snapshot of the filesystem where the path specified is mounted. PRE-DLE-* create a snapshot and the POST-DLE-* destroy the snapshot, *-DLE-AMCHECK, *-DLE-ESTIMATE and *-DLE-BACKUP must be set to be executed on the client: execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client The PRE_DLE_* script output a DIRECTORY property telling where the directory is located in the snapshot. The application must be able to use the DIRECTORY property, amgtar can do it. The script is run as the amanda user, it must have the priviledge to create and destroy snapshot: zfs allow -ldu AMANDA_USER mount,snapshot,destroy FILESYSTEM Some system doesn't have "zfs allow", but you can give the Amanda backup user the rights to manipulate ZFS filesystems by using the following command: usermod -P "ZFS File System Management,ZFS Storage Management" AMANDA_USER This will require that your run zfs under pfexec, set the PFEXEC property to YES. The format of the DLE must be one of: Desciption Example ---------- ------- Mountpoint /data Arbitrary mounted dir /data/interesting_dir ZFS pool name datapool ZFS filesystem datapool/database ZFS logical volume datapool/dbvol The filesystem must be mounted. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control amzfs-snapshot's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. DF-PATH Path to the 'df' binary, search in $PATH by default. ZFS-PATH Path to the 'zfs' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC-PATH Path to the 'pfexec' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC If "NO" (the default), pfexec is not used, if set to "YES" then pfexec is used. EXAMPLE
In this example, a dumptype is defined to use amzfs-snapshot script to create a snapshot and use amgtar to backup the snapshot. define script-tool amzfs_snapshot { comment "backup of zfs snapshot" plugin "amzfs-snapshot" execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client #property "DF-PATH" "/usr/sbin/df" #property "ZFS-PATH" "/usr/sbin/zfs" #property "PFEXEC-PATH" "/usr/sbin/pfexec" #property "PFEXEC" "NO" } define dumptype user-zfs-amgtar { dt_amgtar script "amzfs_snapshot" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)