Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command is saving output as blank file Post 302964326 by Dream4649 on Wednesday 13th of January 2016 12:18:00 PM
Old 01-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
For me, it works only with EREs switched on; I don't know if this is available on AIX. And, it can be simplified a bit:
Code:
sed -E "s/\x1B\[(;?[0-9]{1,3})*[mK]//g"

Hi Tried with -e but it giving me the same outputSmilie

---------- Post updated at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Does my.log have any contents when checkpoint is called? Check with cat.
Yup... checkpoint is called after my task is done.and it has the contents

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED Command Returning a Blank File

I have a file called get_columns.sh that I would like to replace $2 with $3. I have the following sed command written that works sed s/'$3'/'$2'/g get_columns.sh > output.txt However, when I try the command below, the file is empty. sed s/'$3'/'$2'/g get_columns.sh > get_columns.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving changes when using the sed command

Hi Guys, Working on a script in the Vi editor that requires the fifth column of a particular line changed. e.g. Name:Address:email:A where "A" needs to be changed to what the variable $access holds ($access currently has the words admin access in it) when I use this command : `sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rc1138
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving file edited whith sed

HI! I have a file that looks like this: >ANKRD30_2kb AAGTAACCAATGCAGGAAACCGAGAGGAGAGGTTTGGAAGGTGGTTTAGTGAGGTAATCCATCTTTTCT AGTGATAAACTGGCACCCAGTCAATTTATTCATCAGAAGGGAATACATCAGCCTGGCGTGGTGGCTCGC CCCCGACCCTGTCAGCGTCACCAGCAGCGCGGATCCATGGGCCAGAAGCCTCTAGGGCGCCTAAGTCAG Number of residues in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blank as variable/output when run from command line

When I run this: PDHDURL=`/usr/bin/curl --silent http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php | /usr/bin/grep -o http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/.*.gif | head -1` echo -e "$PHDURL" It is totally blank. However, when I just run it from the terminal: /usr/bin/curl --silent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: killer54291
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blank line in command output

My script ssh's to another server and gathers information then process them. The problem is that the output of a command has an unwanted "blank lines". ... ssh user1@${server1} /usr/bin/ls -l /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $5}' > ${DATAFILE} ... $ cat ${DATAFILE} 123456789 (There's a blank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving output from bash into a file

I am ssh to many servers to get some information... however sometimes the server is unreacheable and i am getting an error. I want to save that output to a file but I am not able to do so... I want to be able to save output of bash into a file.. so when I run this command on a script ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)