Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris DNS client - what exactly it is Post 302963912 by jlliagre on Thursday 7th of January 2016 05:27:43 PM
Old 01-07-2016
Yes, you are right. I just checked on Solaris 10 machine configured with DHCP and being a DNS client and the dns/client client is nevertheless reported as disabled.

Code:
# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 212.27.40.240
nameserver 212.27.40.241
# grep "^hosts"  /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files dns # Added by DHCP
# getent hosts www.unix.com
4.59.125.171    www.unix.com
# svcs dns/client
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       23:18:38 svc:/network/dns/client:default
# cat /etc/release
                    Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 s10x_u11wos_24a X86
  Copyright (c) 1983, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 17 January 2013

This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS client nslookup

Hello, I just got done setting up a DNS server and a client. However, when I do an nslookup with just the hostname, I got this output: Microsoft Windows 2000 (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\dev9>nslookup dev9 Server: webdev.testsurgemail.com Address:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

HOWTO: Linux multihomed dns client

The Linux resolver queries all nameservers in the order they are listed in /etc/resolver.conf. If a nameserver times out, it advances on to the following nameserver. But, if a nameserver returns "not found" (NXDOMAIN) it stops. This behaviour is problematic when you need to resolve names from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

dns client not working

Hi All, I have configured linux server as local dns server (practice level). I have given the IP and hostname details in /etc/hosts -bash-3.00# cat /etc/hosts # # Internet host table # ::1 localhost 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.1.78 dummy.set.com loghost 192.168.1.57 cent.set.com #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhav.kanchan
3 Replies

5. Debian

PB : DNS Client don't ping internet

Hi, I have my router (192.168.1.1) connected to the internet. I have installed Debian on a server with Bind9 (192.168.1.254). The configurations files are : $ cat /etc/network/interfaces # The loopback network interface auto lo iface lo inet loopback # The primary network interface... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thibault
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to Determine client's DNS server Ip

Is there a way for a server to determine client's DNS ip? I have an application that logs client's IP but in certain cases its desirable to know their DNS too (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickylife
1 Replies

7. Linux

How to add a client to DNS server

Hi all, What is the procedure to add a client to a DNS server. what are the settings and files need to be added/changed ? thanks in advance! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
6 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
ipa-client-automount(1) 					 IPA Manual Pages					   ipa-client-automount(1)

NAME
ipa-client-automount - Configure automount and NFS for IPA SYNOPSIS
ipa-client-automount [OPTION]... <location> DESCRIPTION
Configures automount for IPA. The automount configuration consists of three files: o /etc/nsswitch.conf o /etc/sysconfig/autofs o /etc/autofs_ldap_auth.conf By default this will use DNS discovery to attempt to determine the IPA server(s) to use. If IPA servers are discovered then the automount client will be configured to use DNS discovery. If DNS discovery fails or a specific server is desired, use the --server option. The default automount location is named default. To specify a different one use the --location option. The IPA client must already be configured in order to configure automount. The IPA client is configured as part of a server installation. There are two ways to configure automount. The default is to use sssd to manage the automount maps. Alternatively autofs can configured to bind to LDAP over GSSAPI and authenticate using the machine's host principal. The nsswitch automount service is configured to use either sss or ldap and files depending on whether SSSD is configured or not. NFSv4 is also configured. The rpc.gssd and rpc.idmapd are started on clients to support Kerberos-secured mounts. OPTIONS
--server=SERVER Set the IPA server to connect to --location=LOCATION Automount location -S, --no-sssd Do not configure the client to use SSSD for automount -d, --debug Print debugging information to stdout -U, --unattended Unattended installation. The user will not be prompted --uninstall Restore the automount configuration files FILES
Files that will be always be configured: /etc/nsswitch.conf Files that will be configured when SSSD is the automount client (default): /etc/sssd/sssd.conf Files that will be configured when using the ldap automount client: /etc/sysconfig/autofs /etc/autofs_ldap_auth.conf EXIT STATUS
0 if the installation was successful 1 if an error occurred IPA
May 25 2012 ipa-client-automount(1)