Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Compiler/Runtime uses of sizeof Post 302962443 by Don Cragun on Monday 14th of December 2015 05:38:35 PM
Old 12-14-2015
Using:
Code:
int c = sizeof(a);

is wrong, but won't actually hurt you unless a contains more bytes than fit in an object of type signed int. If you're using an external object to store the results of the sizeof operator, its type should be size_t; not int.

Note that if you are in a subroutine that has been passed a pointer to an array of characters to be copied into an area of memory pointed to by another pointer to an array of characters, you have to be also be given the size of the destination array, as in:
Code:
char *my_copy(char *from, char *to, size_t to_size) {
        return(strncpy(to, from, to_size);
}

because using:
Code:
        return(strncpy(to, from, sizeof(to));

gives you the size of the pointer to; not the size of the array of characters pointed to by to.

But, as long as the compiler knows the size of the destination object as in:
Code:
#include <string.h>
int main() {
        char a[128], b[]="source string", *ret;
        ret = strncpy(a, b, sizeof(a));
}

there is no need to create a variable to hold the result of the sizeof operator before calling strncpy().

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-14-2015 at 06:51 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sizeof

we know that sizeof never returns zero when used with structure then why in this case it is returning zero struct foo { char c; }; void main() { struct foo f; cout<<sizeof(f); } i am working on solaris 5.8 isn't the above function should return the size of empty structure (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramneek
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xl C/C++ compiler to GCC compiler

Hi, we are converting from IBM-AIX(xl c/c++ compiler) to Linux(GCC complier). As a part of this i need to change the CFLAGS. The xl c/c++ complier CFLAGS is CFLAGS := $(CDEBUG) $(PROJECT_INCLUDE_DIRS) $(COBJECT_MODE) -qcpluscmt -qmakedep -qcheck=all \ -qalign=bit_packed $(LINT_FLAGS)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbattu1
0 Replies

3. Programming

How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries?

To make a programming language you need a compiler, so what was the first programming language and how was is created if you need the compiler first? The compiler itself is considered as a high language comparing to the machine! since the compiler is not created in 1's and 0's... Eventhough i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
12 Replies

4. Programming

sizeof an array of structure without using 'sizeof' operator

Hi All, is it possible to find out the size of an array of structures ( without using 'sizeof' operator). The condition is we have the array of structure instant but we are not aware of the elements inside the structure. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
18 Replies

5. Programming

How to get the sizeof char pointer

The below code throws the error, since the size of x = 19 is not passed to the cstrCopy function. using namespace std; static void cstrCopy(char *x, const char*y); int main () { char x; const string y = "UNIX FORUM"; cstrCopy(x,y.c_str()); return 0; } void cstrCopy(char *x,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SamRoj
3 Replies

6. Programming

Doubts regarding sizeof() operator

Hi, There are some bewildering sizeof() questions I have in my mind. Could anyone shed some light on this? int main() { printf("%d\n", sizeof(main)); // Ans: 1 } That is, the sizeof() a function identifier though it is treated internally as a pointer gives 1 byte always, why? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc compiler and gcc compiler

hi, can we install gcc compiler in unix based OS(sun solar,IBM AIX,HP,etc) and also can we install sun cc compiler in AIX environment and vice versa. and more ..is linux support cc compiler regards Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
3 Replies

8. Programming

sizeof(object) in C++

Hi, I have defined the class and call the sizeof(object to class) to get the size. # include <iostream> # include <iomanip> using namespace std; class sample { private: int i; float j; char k; public: sample() { } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sizeof a file from directory path in perl

Hai how to find size of a file?? ex : /home/kiran/pdk/sample/calibre this is a path In that I have to find size of a files in side a calibre(it is the folder) like .results or .summary (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran425
1 Replies
STRCPY(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRCPY(3)

NAME
stpcpy, stpncpy, strcpy, strncpy -- copy strings LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * stpcpy(char * restrict dst, const char * restrict src); char * stpncpy(char * restrict dst, const char * restrict src, size_t len); char * strcpy(char * restrict dst, const char * restrict src); char * strncpy(char * restrict dst, const char * restrict src, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
The stpcpy() and strcpy() functions copy the string src to dst (including the terminating '' character.) The stpncpy() and strncpy() functions copy at most len characters from src into dst. If src is less than len characters long, the remainder of dst is filled with '' characters. Otherwise, dst is not terminated. RETURN VALUES
The strcpy() and strncpy() functions return dst. The stpcpy() and stpncpy() functions return a pointer to the terminating '' character of dst. If stpncpy() does not terminate dst with a NUL character, it instead returns a pointer to dst[n] (which does not necessarily refer to a valid memory location.) EXAMPLES
The following sets chararray to ``abc'': char chararray[6]; (void)strncpy(chararray, "abc", sizeof(chararray)); The following sets chararray to ``abcdef'': char chararray[6]; (void)strncpy(chararray, "abcdefgh", sizeof(chararray)); Note that it does not NUL terminate chararray because the length of the source string is greater than or equal to the length argument. The following copies as many characters from input to buf as will fit and NUL terminates the result. Because strncpy() does not guarantee to NUL terminate the string itself, this must be done explicitly. char buf[1024]; (void)strncpy(buf, input, sizeof(buf) - 1); buf[sizeof(buf) - 1] = ''; This could be better achieved using strlcpy(3), as shown in the following example: (void)strlcpy(buf, input, sizeof(buf)); Note that because strlcpy(3) is not defined in any standards, it should only be used when portability is not a concern. SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), memmove(3), strlcpy(3), wcscpy(3) STANDARDS
The strcpy() and strncpy() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The stpcpy() and stpncpy() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The stpcpy() function first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4, and stpncpy() was added in FreeBSD 8.0. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
The strcpy() function is easily misused in a manner which enables malicious users to arbitrarily change a running program's functionality through a buffer overflow attack. BSD
February 28, 2009 BSD