Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script help with awk/ping
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Script help with awk/ping Post 302961941 by 5sku5 on Sunday 6th of December 2015 11:58:45 PM
Old 12-07-2015
Script help with awk/ping

I need to ping a host website ...like facebook.com and out the seconds of delay for 5 websites ..I need help writing a script that will print the bold

PING facebook.com (173.252.90.36) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from edge-star-mini-shv-13-atn1.facebook.com (173.252.90.36): icmp_req=1 ttl=76 time=74.0 ms

--- facebook.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 74.087/74.087/74.087/0.000 ms
PING pbs.org (23.21.237.247) 56(84) bytes of data.

Code:
for websites in `cat hosts`

do
ping -c 1 $websites >> pingwebsites

echo "Please wait. Waiting to find the host with the highest delay !!!--->"

awk ' { print $2,  $8 } ' pingwebsites >pingtimes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK for ping and print..

I'm using a hosts file, formatted like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dnsname #comment Current command is: for host in 'awk '/^/ { print $1 }' etc/hosts' do ping $host 1 2>&1 | \ sed 's/.*no answer.*/[31;1m&[0m/;s/.*is alive.*/[32;2m[0m/' done (no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hutch770
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping Script

hello, I am looking to make a script that will ping a remote ip address. Upon completion of the ping I want the program to either ping again if the # of packets transmitted is equal to the number of packets received or exit if the two values are unequal and information was lost. I am not sure if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcrosby
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script

I want find from a file , where list of hosts is given . Whether SSH is running on that Hosts and and create 2 files : HOSt-SSH-Running HOST-SSH-Not-running In the list we have some Windows and Unix Servers, windows servers do not have sshd running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Ping Script and AWK

Hey Guys, First time posting here. I keep getting back here on my google searches to help me in my scripting quest. Can i ask for some guidance please? I acquired a script, from these forums in fact that pings a list of IPs/Hostnames. Works a treat. Echos results to a file with the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Ping Script

Hello all...I'm new to Unix and learning. What I'm trying to create is a script that will ping a known range of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. For each address that no reply is received, that address will be written to a log file that will be emailed to an administrator. My wife... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmitchell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Router ping log extract data from it Awk/Sed/grep

Hi, I am new to this world.. Using expect i loging to router and checking ping response to my links. I need to genarate report using this output and that report contains only three file link name, packet loss, latency. my output of script is like below: -bash-3.00$ monmw/mwbkp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmistry
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Pattern Matching for PING tests

I have a script that logs into a server and pings several other servers in order to verify IP path between servers. The output can look like this, if good pings: Response from 1.1.1.4;_id=0, vlan_prio=0): seq=0 time=91.547 ms. Response from 1.1.1.4;_id=0, vlan_prio=0): seq=1 time=61.176 ms.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
7 Replies
ping(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   ping(8)

Name
       ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to network hosts

Syntax
       /etc/ping [ options ] host [ datasize [ npackets ]]

Description
       The  DARPA  Internet  is  a large and complex network of hardware connected together by gateways.  The command utilizes the ICMP protocol's
       mandatory ECHO_REQUEST datagram to elicit an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from a host or gateway.	ECHO_REQUEST datagrams (pings) have an IP and ICMP
       header,	followed  by  a  struct timeval, and then an arbitrary number of pad bytes used to fill out the packet.  The length of the default
       datagram 64 bytes, but this may be changed using the command-line option.

Typing ``ping host'' without any options will either report ``host is alive'' or ``no answer from host''.  To get more statistics  use  the
       -l option or one of the other options.

When  using  for  fault	isolation,  it should first be run on the local host to verify that the local network interface is up and running.
       Then, hosts and gateways further and further away should be pinged.  The command with options sends one datagram per second and prints  one
       line  of  output  for every ECHO_RESPONSE returned.  No output is produced if there is no response.  If an optional npackets is given, only
       that number of requests is sent.  Round-trip times and packet loss statistics are computed.  When all responses have been received  or  the
       program times out with npackets specified, or if the program is terminated with a SIGINT, a brief summary is displayed.

Options
       -d   Turns on SO_DEBUG flag on the socket.

-l   Gives more statistics than if is used without options.  Long output.

-r   Bypasses  the  normal  routing  tables and sends directly to a host on an attached network.  If the host is not on a directly-attached
	    network, an error is returned.  This option can be used to ping a local host through an interface that has no route through  it.   For
	    example, after the interface was dropped by

-v   Lists ICMP packets other than ECHO RESPONSE that are received. Verbose output.

Restrictions
       This  program is intended for use in network testing, measurement, and management.  It should be used primarily for manual fault isolation.
       Because of the load it could impose on the network, it is unwise to use during normal operations or from automated scripts.

See Also
       netstat(1), ifconfig(8c)

ping(8)