Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Noob to scripting needs some assistance Post 302961518 by jkeeton81 on Monday 30th of November 2015 02:41:27 PM
Old 11-30-2015
Noob to scripting needs some assistance

Hello,

I am in a Unix class and have been out of town. I have been tasked to generate a couple of scripts and ahve never done it before. I have a virtual machine running Ubuntu. The task is below

Prompt the system administrator for all valid input parameters
Generate a menu to ask which task is needed to be performed
Create a UNIX group
Drop a UNIX group
Create a user
Drop a user

Prompt the system administrator for the target user name
List the running processes for that user
Confirm with the system administrator before killing the processes
Kill the processes after confirmation

I understand the commands to create users and groups and to kill processes, but I do not know how to write a scrpt to perform all of this and prompt the admin/generate menus

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting neophyte needs file manipulation assistance

I need to write two shell scripts for an rsync backup solution. The first script will copy all backed up files into a folder named after the original folder, plus a date stamp (so e.g. if the original folder name is 'foo' and is backed up on the 10th of September, then the backup folder will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LambdaCalculus
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance in Perl scripting

PFA file "color.txt". Note : There is no newline character in the file. I have manually inserted the newline char to make it easy to understand. I am expecting out in the form as specified in second file "out.txt" I need a perl script to perform the task. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NOOB - Scripting to make an App work

Hello everyone. i work in a school and i ran into an application today that is a real pickle. i know how to make it work, but i would need to script it. The way to make it work would be to have a script check each local user profile on login, see if the directory already exists, do nothing... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: jscan
27 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob scripting question with android ADB commands

Hi I'm pretty new to scripting and I've been googling around looking for an answer but have yet to come up with a proper solution. I work with multiple android devices at a time and I'm looking to simplify my life with a script. Basically I'm looking for a script that takes the device ID's and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onyoursix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to Shell Scripting

Hello. I'm attempting to create a shell script to assist me by saving time with one of my hobbies. I am an Android Enthusiast and currently build a few roms for one of the devices. One of the roms I make is ported from a different device to mine (I get the original for the HTC Desire HD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JHutson456
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ii for irc chat - scripting assistance?

I am using ii for irc on my pogoplug... hxxp://hg.suckless.org/ii/file/d163c8917af7/FAQ If you look at the bottom of there, it states 31 What other fancy stuff can I do with ii? 32 ---------------------------------------- 33 It is very easy to write irc bots in ii: 34... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan2006
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newbie scripting assistance

Howdy folks, I'm trying to craft a log file summarisation tool for an application that creates a lot of duplicate entries with only a different suffix to indicate point of execution. I thought I'd gotten close but I'm clearly missing something. Here's a genericized version: A text_file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mthespian
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dhcp.config file scripting assistance

Hello everyone! I am brand new at this forum thing and wanted to thank all of you for your time and help in advance for helping me troubleshoot my issue. I am fairly new to shell scripting and scoured the entire internet to find a solution for my issue to no avail and hope you're able to help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedrocks
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob Expect Scripting Question

I'm having some difficulty with convincing Expect to do what I need.. I have a loop that waits for input, a specific phrase of text followed by a single word. I need Expect to capture that word following the specific phrase. It should then store the word in a variable. I'm fairly sure it's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LongLeafTea
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Noob BASH scripting question

Hello All, I have a file of ip addresses called activeips.txt What I'm trying to do is run a simple bash script that has a loop in it. The loop is a cat of the IP addresses in the file. The goal is to run 2 nmap commands to give me outputs where each address in the list has an OS... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_Pitt
11 Replies
PVM(1PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4							 PVM(1PVM)

NAME
pvm - PVM version 3 console SYNOPSIS
pvm [ -options ] [ hostfile ] DESCRIPTION
Pvm is a stand alone PVM task which allows the user to interactively query and modify the virtual machine. The console can be started and stopped multiple times on any of the hosts in the virtual machine without affecting PVM or any applications that may be running. When started pvm determines if PVM is already running and if not automatically executes pvmd3 on this host, passing pvmd3 the command line options and host file. Thus PVM need not be running to start the console. Once started the console prints the prompt: pvm> The following console commands are available: add hostname(s) - Add hosts to virtual machine alias - Define/list command aliases conf - List virtual machine configuration delete hostname(s) - Delete hosts from virtual machine echo - Echo arguments export - Add environment variables to spawn export list halt - Stop pvmds help [command] - Print helpful information about a command id - Print console task id jobs - List running jobs kill task-tid - Terminate tasks mstat host-tid - Show status of hosts ps -a - List all PVM tasks pstat task-tid - Show status of tasks quit - Exit console reset - Kill all tasks setenv - Display/set environment variables sig signum task - Send signal to task spawn [opt] a.out - Spawn task opts are: -(count) number of tasks, default is 1 -(host) spawn on host, default is any -(ARCH) spawn on hosts of ARCH -? enable debugging -> redirect task output to console -> file redirect task output to file ->>file redirect task output append to file trace - Set/display trace event mask unexport - Remove environment variables from spawn export list unalias - Undefine command alias version - Show libpvm version pvm reads $HOME/.pvmrc before reading commands from the tty, so it can be used to customize the console environment, for example: alias ? help alias j jobs setenv PVM_EXPORT DISPLAY # print my id echo new pvm shell id EXAMPLES
pvm Starts up pvmd3 on the local host or connects to running pvmd3. pvm hostfile Starts up console and pvmd3, which in turn reads the host file and adds the listed computers to the virtual machine. SEE ALSO
pvm_intro(1PVM), pvmd3(1PVM) 30 August, 1993 PVM(1PVM)