Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change Post 302958261 by Klasform on Tuesday 20th of October 2015 02:55:10 PM
Old 10-20-2015
Code:
sed -n 'p; /{/{ :L n; /}/p; s/\(.*\)/#\1/p; bL; };n;p;' file6
#!/bin/bash

fn a {
# beautiful evening
# added
# sunny day
 }
# }
# fn b {
 }
# }
#
# fn c {
#  hello world .its a beautiful day
#  my mom is beautiful.
#  my doll is beautiful
#  all things bright and beautiful
#  all creatures great and small
 }
# }

I have tried branching
Code:
/}/p;

with
Code:
{/}/{p; bL;}}

I just get an error. I have branched successfully with L but can't seem to be able inside another Curly set.
I know I don't yet have the correct output for # on last line of curly set, right now I just want to understand the branching stuff, then I will try to fix the other problem after.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a specific character in a file

Hi, I have a data file with following structure: a|b|c|d|3|f1|f2|f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1|f2|f3|f4|f5 I want to change this data to: a|b|c|d|3|f1;f2;f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1;f2;f3;f4;f5 Data in column 5 tells the number of following fields. All fields delimiter after the 5th column needs to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdubey
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk- add columns and make new column and save as newfile

Hi, I have file as below: 5 6 7 4 8 9 3 5 6 output needs to be another file with 4th column as $1+$2 and 5th column as $3+$4. sample output file 5 6 7 11 18 4 8 9 12 21 3 5 6 8 14 Anybody have answer Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK or SED to add string at specific position

Greetings. I don't have experience programing scripts. I need to insert a string in a specific position of another string on another file (last.cfg), for example: File last.cfg before using script: login_interval=1800 lcs.machinename=client04 File last.cfg after using script:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesuke
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change character(s) in specific column

Hi all! I need to change the final e every time when it is present in any word in column 1 to a; moreover, to change the final i again to a in any word in column 1, but just if word in column 2 begins with ha or si. Here below you can see a sample of my data: achwa ungeliachwa ungeli 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will authconfig make permanent change or lost after reboot?

Hi, I made following configuration to create user directory: # authconfig --enablemkhomedir --update But the directory is created as permission 755, I'd like to modify the script to change directory access permission to 700, where is the script which copies /etc/skel to /home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific text to columns in file by sed

What is the proper syntax to add specific text to a column in a file? Both the input and output below are tab-delineated. What if there are multiple text/fields, such as /CP&/2 /CM&/3 /AA&/4 Thank you :). sed 's/*/Index&/1' del.txt.hg19_multianno.txt > matrix.del.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)