Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change Post 302958224 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 20th of October 2015 09:50:51 AM
Old 10-20-2015
You could also try ed or ex with any shell that has a syntax based on the Bourne shell (e.g., ash, bash, ksh, zsh...):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
ed -s a.sh <<-EOF
	g/beautiful/s/^/#/
	w
	q
EOF

These utilities might use a temp file internally, but you won't need to create one on your own this way.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a specific character in a file

Hi, I have a data file with following structure: a|b|c|d|3|f1|f2|f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1|f2|f3|f4|f5 I want to change this data to: a|b|c|d|3|f1;f2;f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1;f2;f3;f4;f5 Data in column 5 tells the number of following fields. All fields delimiter after the 5th column needs to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdubey
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk- add columns and make new column and save as newfile

Hi, I have file as below: 5 6 7 4 8 9 3 5 6 output needs to be another file with 4th column as $1+$2 and 5th column as $3+$4. sample output file 5 6 7 11 18 4 8 9 12 21 3 5 6 8 14 Anybody have answer Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK or SED to add string at specific position

Greetings. I don't have experience programing scripts. I need to insert a string in a specific position of another string on another file (last.cfg), for example: File last.cfg before using script: login_interval=1800 lcs.machinename=client04 File last.cfg after using script:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesuke
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change character(s) in specific column

Hi all! I need to change the final e every time when it is present in any word in column 1 to a; moreover, to change the final i again to a in any word in column 1, but just if word in column 2 begins with ha or si. Here below you can see a sample of my data: achwa ungeliachwa ungeli 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will authconfig make permanent change or lost after reboot?

Hi, I made following configuration to create user directory: # authconfig --enablemkhomedir --update But the directory is created as permission 755, I'd like to modify the script to change directory access permission to 700, where is the script which copies /etc/skel to /home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific text to columns in file by sed

What is the proper syntax to add specific text to a column in a file? Both the input and output below are tab-delineated. What if there are multiple text/fields, such as /CP&/2 /CM&/3 /AA&/4 Thank you :). sed 's/*/Index&/1' del.txt.hg19_multianno.txt > matrix.del.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)