Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? They won't need so many sys admins anymore Post 302957418 by Riker1204 on Saturday 10th of October 2015 01:34:56 PM
Old 10-10-2015
Sorry to hear this sparcguy. Hope you will keep us updated on anything you find. Always like to know how these things turn out.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Any sys admins from uk?

Hello Guys, im new to this forum. Im from UK and ive recently completed my SCSA I & II and also got trained in Veritas Suite (Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas Clusters, Veritas NetBackup), SAN Configuration. I was trying to get a break as a junior sun solaris admin. I am applying for the jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megadeth
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login as SU anymore - SU: NO SHELL

the root shell has been changed in the file /etc/passwd, basically pointing to an incorrect directory. So now every time we login as 'su' I get the message 'su: no shell' so we can't login as superuser. Is there an easy way to rectify this? please use step by step instructions/commands - I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homechoice
4 Replies

3. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire won't boot anymore

Hi all - I have an issue with our (way old) single processor SunFire 280R, running Solaris 9.0.4. It won't boot even after multiple power cycles. There was a power outage last week end in the computer room, so this might have to do. In normal boot mode, the screen shows a single line : ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bostella
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't SSH as root anymore!

I've screwed something up in my sshd_config apparently, because I can't ssh with root anymore. I had disabled root login for security reasons, but then my ssh credentials with full administrative privelges stopped working. So then I reenabled root login (and reset ssh), but root now isn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cquarry
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pkill won't work on firefox anymore

Can someone tell me why pkill won't work on firefox anymore? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies

7. Slackware

Anyone Using Slackware Anymore?

We used to use Slackware, but then moved all our servers to Ubuntu Linux. Does anyone use Slackware anymore? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

8. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
SYSADMIN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYSADMIN(1)

NAME
sysadmin - responsible for everything imaginable that may or may not have to do with the system you're using. Contraction of "system" and "administrator" SYNOPSIS
sysadmin [-ab] [-cd] [-ef] etc...... DESCRIPTION
sysadmin takes care of everything, is generally harangued, must be supplied with coffee, chocolate, and alcohol in order to function prop- erly, cannot be exposed to direct sunlight, and must not be allowed to have a life. sysadmin is not intended as a user interface routine; other programs provide user-friendly front ends; sysadmin is used by everyone who can track him [her] down. With no flags, sysadmin reads its standard input up to an EOF, or a line which sysadmin wishes to parse, and then proceeds to ignore it entirely and read news all day. When invoked with the -w option, sysadmin reads standard input and responds according to terms of job description. OPTIONS
-bofh Go into Bastard Operator From Hell mode. This option causes sysadmin to use tools stored in the /usr/lib/bofh directory to parse the standard input and route user tasks appropriately. -cd causes sysadmin to become caffeine-deprived, resulting in system slowdowns. -b causes the sysadmin to function normally while augmenting the standard input with beer(5). Can be used with the -t option as well, depending upon which version of sysadmin you are running. -t causes the sysadmin to smoke tobacco, which can result in significant performance improvement, provided you are running the correct version of sysadmin. -Cfile Specify an alternate configuration file (sysadmin.cf is the standard). -dX set debuggin value to X. -fFullname Set the full name of the sysadmin. -Bf Create the sysadmin.cf configuration freeze file. -lname Sets the name of the "luser" person (that is, originator of a given request). -l can only be used by "trusted" users (who are listed in sysadmin.cf). NOTES
The -t option should not be used with a version of sysadmin which is not capable of parsing tobacco input. Though the functionality of this command may seem similar to the -b option, it should not be confused with that or the related -c option. 25 September 1995 SYSADMIN(1)