Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir Post 302956787 by syncmaster on Saturday 3rd of October 2015 05:16:19 PM
Old 10-03-2015
Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user.

How to fix this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching user from root to ordinary user

Good day Guys!!! I am currently making a script in AIX, the script runs a SAS job, the owner of the script is the root, but the SAS jobs cannot be run by the root, as it should be run by a user 'sasia'. But inside the script, root creates a logfile, so what I need is just to su to sasia for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasia
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

su root from normal user

Got a cron to run everyday under my user. this cronjob runs a script from my /home/jack/scripts/run.sh clear # # su to root and run a script, return with result # su - # passwd # run /getfile.sh # return with result # the result will copy 2 files from /prod/app/logs/ and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Root command as Normal user

Hi, We need to execute a root commmand to change the expiry period of a user but we are getting error as permission denied Q How can we execute a root command by a normal user ? :mad: any thing or suggestion will be good .... :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek1979
3 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. Solaris

java version mismatch for normal user and root user

:confused: I installed latest version of java ( jre 1.6) on Solaris Machine ......when I run java -version as root, shows the latest version but when I run java -version as normal user, shows the old / previous version What should I do to fix this ...should show the latest version... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will Chkconfig works for normal user apart from root user

Hi, I am trying to schedule a script that starts on reboot.I came across chkconfig utility to schedule scripts on reboot. Problem here is can i how to use this chkconfig to schedule a script that runs a s normal user. Or if there is any other function to schedule on reboot as normal user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveena kotapa
4 Replies
PAM_CHROOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     PAM_CHROOT(8)

NAME
pam_chroot -- Chroot PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_chroot [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The chroot service module for PAM chroots users into either a predetermined directory or one derived from their home directory. If a user's home directory as specified in the passwd structure returned by getpwnam(3) contains the string ``/./'', the portion of the directory name to the left of that string is used as the chroot directory, and the portion to the right will be the current working directory inside the chroot tree. Otherwise, the directories specified by the dir and cwd options (see below) are used. also_root Do not hold user ID 0 exempt from the chroot requirement. always Report a failure if a chroot directory could not be derived from the user's home directory, and the dir option was not specified. cwd=directory Specify the directory to chdir(2) into after a successful chroot(2) call. dir=directory Specify the chroot directory to use if one could not be derived from the user's home directory. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam(8) AUTHORS
The pam_chroot module and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and NAI Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BSD
February 10, 2003 BSD