Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server Post 302956590 by jgt on Thursday 1st of October 2015 08:33:28 AM
Old 10-01-2015
You used the word RAID in your subject line, but since you only speak of one disk in the post itself, I am going to assume that you have a single SCSI disk.
Here are some approaches you might take.
1. Corner the market for 9,18,and 33gb scsi disks. You can use disk duplication programs like hdclone to make a copy of your current disk, although you will not be able to change the logical size of the disk. That is, if you copy your 9gb disk to a 33gb disk, when you install the 33gb disk it will still appear to be 9. Put several of these on the shelf, and if the disk fails, install a replacement, and restore the latest tape. Cost 100-200$US per disk.

2. Toss the tape drive, and install a DVD writer. Purchase Microlite Edge, and do backups of the entire system to dvd. This software also allows you to create a bootable cd/dvd with a menu driven restore procedure. Cost 600US$

3. Upgrade the entire system to a new I3 processor with 4gb memory and 32gb SSD with DVD and backup to either USB or DVD and SCO 6.0.0. Cost less than 5k (hardware, software and installation.)
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

2-Ch RAID Problem in SCO Open Server

Help, if possible. In SCO Open Server with installation of two-channel RAID controller the following happens: on the channel 0 disk array is seen by an operational system, and on the channel 1 array is not seen (simultaneously). That is the operational system can not simultaneously use more than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pko60
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Linux

Help Setting up Linux Raid Server

I just built a home computer with 3TB hard drives I wanted to set up in a RAID 5 and load Ubuntu server onto it. The first thing I did was set up the drives in a RAID 5 using just the motherboard chipset software to do it, so a 'hardware' RAID basically. I installed Windows first to see if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorewap3
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help finding a Unix friendly RAID 1 backup

First time poster and a very new Unix user, so I'll just pre-apologize for stupid questions now. Does anybody know of a good RAID 1 hard drive backup that is Unix friendly? I want to avoid any hardcore programming. Can you recommend both NAS and non-NAS options? I need to do nightly backups... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.wakeman
31 Replies

9. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies
vxinstall(1M)															     vxinstall(1M)

NAME
vxinstall - menu-driven Veritas Volume Manager initial configuration procedure SYNOPSIS
vxinstall DESCRIPTION
The vxinstall utility provides a menu driven interface to configure Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM). If you install the Veritas Volume Man- ager software package using the operating system's package administration commands, you can run vxinstall to configure VxVM for initial use on your system. Note: If you use the Veritas software installation scripts, do not run this utility. OPERATIONS
Licensing vxinstall first asks if you want to view the Veritas licenses already installed on the system. Answering "yes" is equivalent to exe- cuting the vxlicrep command (see vxlicrep(1)). You are then asked if you want to add licenses for other Veritas products. Answering "yes" is equivalent to running the vxlicinst command (see vxlicinst(1)). and entering a license key. Enclosure-Based Naming You can choose whether you want to use disk access names that are based on the device names assigned by the operating system, or that are based on names that you assign to enclosures. System-Wide Default Disk Group You can enter the name for the default disk group (defaultdg). This is an alias for the disk group name that should be assumed if the -g option is not specified to a command, or if the VXVM_DEFAULTDG environment variable is undefined. By default, defaultdg is set to nodg (that is, no disk group). NOTES
From release 4.0 of VxVM, it is no longer necessary to run vxinstall to configure the rootdg disk group. Disks and disk groups may be added to VxVM by running commands such as vxdiskadm(1M) or by using the graphical user interface without first running vxinstall. The operation of VxVM does not require any disk groups to have been configured, and a disk group named rootdg does not need to be present on the system. Any disk group may be configured as the default disk group that is to be used with VxVM commands. Any disk group named rootdg has no special significance to VxVM. See the vxdg(1M) manual page for further details. SEE ALSO
vxdctl(1M), vxdg(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxlicinst(1), vxlicrep(1) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxinstall(1M)