Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to output the percentage of a field compared to length Post 302956576 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 1st of October 2015 07:50:38 AM
Old 10-01-2015
@RudiC, certainly it's always chr1; some Excel/Outlook/IE has added the occasional spaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl or awk, field length check

Hi Everyone, 1.txt a;1234;134;1111111 b;123;123;1111111 c;123;1334;1111111 d;1234;1234;1111111 output a;1234;134;1111111 c;123;1334;1111111 d;1234;1234;1111111 if field2 legth>3 or field3 length >3, then output. Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output field delimiter

Dear All, 1.txt (tab in between each value in a line) a b c a b c a c d you can see below, why with ~ i can output with tab, but = cannot? # awk -F'\t' '$2 ~ /b/' 1 a b c a b c # awk -F'\t' '$2 = "b"' 1 a b c a b c a b d ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - output field separator

In awk, how do I print all fields with a specified output field separator? I have tried the following, which does not print the output FS: echo a b c d | awk 'BEGIN{OFS = ";"}{print $0}' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk script to calculate the percentage of value field and replace

Need an awk script to calculate the percentage of value field and replace I have a input file called file.txt with the following content: john|622.5674603562933|8|br:1;cn:3;fr:1;jp:1;us:2 andy|0.0|12|**:3;br:1;ca:2;de:2;dz:1;fr:2;nl:1 in fourth filed of input file, calulate percentage of each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need an awk script to calculate the percentage of value field and replace

I have a input file called file.txt with the following content: john|622.5674603562933|8|br:1;cn:3;fr:1;jp:1;us:2 andy|0.0|12|**:3;br:1;ca:2;de:2;dz:1;fr:2;nl:1 in fourth filed of input file, calulate percentage of each sub filed seperated by ; semicolon and replace value with percentage . i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with awk, where line length and field position are variable

I have several questions about using awk. I'm hoping someone could lend me a hand. (I'm also hoping that my questions make sense.) I have a file that contains pipe separated data. Each line has similar data but the number of fields and the field position on each line is variable. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheese64
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to add length of matching characters between field in file

The awk below produces the current output, which will add +1 to $3. However, I am trying to add the length of the matching characters between $5 and $6 to $3. I have tried using sub as a variable to store the length but am not able to do so correctly. I added comments to each line and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)