Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to search for the sessions that have a certain environment variable set? Post 302956473 by RudiC on Wednesday 30th of September 2015 11:00:08 AM
Old 09-30-2015
Does Solaris 10 have the /proc file system?
This works on linux:
Code:
sudo grep "TERM=linux" /proc/*/environ
Binary file /proc/1258/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1378/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1380/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1396/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1397/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1420/environ matches
Binary file /proc/1/environ matches
Binary file /proc/966/environ matches
Binary file /proc/self/environ matches
Binary file /proc/thread-self/environ matches

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set environment variable?

Installed a program, need to set the system up so that when the executable is entered, it finds the path to the executable. In Windows, set under system properties, advanced, environmental variables. How do I do this with Unix? Specifically using Solaris 9. I have tried: env... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kohoutek
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to set the environment variable at run time

hi, I have one environment variable like path in my system.But in my program i need to change that path .suppose it has a value "config" now i need to chage it as "config1" or something else.i need to use that variable for complete project.It means at first it will use the old path but after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sada@123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

5. Linux

How do i set environment variable

Hi, I am quite new to Linux. And I have doubt how to set new environment variable with value to a C executable. Let say I have a environment variable $Hack ; I would like to load a value for this variable; so that when the C executable is executed, the $Hack would set the variable value. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
4 Replies

6. Solaris

set environment variable?

I am working with solaris 9 sunBlade150 Box. I Installed a program, need to set the environment variable so that when the executable is entered,it finds the path to the executable. The documentation for the software says: Set the appropriate environment variable: Connect to server failed;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

hi, i am new to perl: os : Linux i wrote simple perl script to select from table i am getting this error and how to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable : script: #!usr/bin/perl use DBI; use Mail::Sendmail; #use Date::Calc; use MIME::QuotedPrint; use HTML::Entities; use POSIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Environment variable from another file

Hi, i have the following env variable. currently i am exporting variable in the same script file. but i need this is in a text file and the scripts need to export this variable from the text file. can you please suggest me. is it possible. export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What will be the effect of environment variable, when mulitple sessions are opened by same login?

Hello, What will be the effect of environment variable, when mulitple sessions are opened by same login? Following code snippet is part of a shell script. Environment : HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 For Example EXECUTION_DIR=`pwd`/ EXECUTION_DIR_RT=${EXECUTION_DIR}RT/ export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
GNOME-SESSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GNOME-SESSION(1)

NAME
gnome-session - Start the GNOME desktop environment SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [-a|--autostart=DIR] [--session=SESSION] [--failsafe|-f] [--debug] [--whale] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will load either your saved session, or it will provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). The default session is defined in gnome.session, a .desktop-like file that is looked for in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnome-session/sessions, $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions and $XDG_DATA_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions. When saving a session, gnome-session saves the currently running applications in the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnome-session/saved-session direc- tory. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant application. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --autostart=DIR Start all applications defined in DIR, instead of starting the applications defined in gnome.session, or via the --session option. Multiple --autostart options can be passed. --session=SESSION Use the applications defined in SESSION.session. If not specified, gnome.session will be used. --failsafe Run in fail-safe mode. User-specified applications will not be started. --debug Enable debugging code. --whale Show the fail whale in a dialog for debugging it. SESSION DEFINITION
Sessions are defined in .session files, that are using a .desktop-like format, with the following keys in the GNOME Session group: Name Name of the session. This can be localized. RequiredComponents List of component identifiers (desktop files) that are required by the session. The required components will always run in the ses- sion. Here is an example of a session definition: [GNOME Session] Name=GNOME RequiredComponents=gnome-shell;gnome-settings-daemon; The .session files are looked for in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnome-session/sessions, $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions and $XDG_DATA_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions. ENVIRONMENT
gnome-session sets several environment variables for the use of its child processes: SESSION_MANAGER This variable is used by session-manager aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY This variable is set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that if the --display option is used this might be different from the setting of the environment variable when gnome-session is invoked. FILES
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/config/autostart $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/config/autostart /usr/share/gnome/autostart The applications defined in those directories will be started on login. gnome-session-properties(1) can be used to easily configure them. $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnome-session/sessions $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions $XDG_DATA_DIRS/gnome-session/sessions These directories contain the .session files that can be used with the --session option. $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnome-session/saved-session This directory contains the list of applications of the saved session. BUGS
If you find bugs in the gnome-session program, please report these on https://bugzilla.gnome.org. SEE ALSO
gnome-session-properties(1) gnome-session-quit(1) GNOME GNOME-SESSION(1)