Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Error starting terminal in Ubuntu 14.04.3 Post 302954862 by MadeInGermany on Friday 11th of September 2015 04:07:38 PM
Old 09-11-2015
The system inludes /bin and /usr/bin in your initial PATH, so you must modify it somewhere.
To debug, in an existing shell type
Code:
echo $SHELL

If your shell is bash (or sh), fix PATH with
Code:
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH

then start a new shell in debug mode
Code:
bash -x

and look if PATH is (badly) set somewhere.
Or if your shell is tcsh (or csh), do
Code:
setenv PATH "/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH"

Code:
tcsh -X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

splashy starting up error

Hi eveyone and Happy Holidays, My problem is starting splashy in fedora 8 what i have done is:- installed splashy with no errors edited grub removed rhgb and added quiet vga=791 splash set default theme with command splashy_config -s default no errors added /sbin/splashy boot in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display message when starting a terminal

Hello all, I would like a message to be displayed on the shell when someone opens up the terminal - something like a welcome msg with date and time. I know how to do this by running the shell commands but dont know how to display it when a user opens up the terminal? Thanks in advance (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
27 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm unable to run Keyed List commands(in ubuntu's terminal and Evolane Tcl Engine)

I'm trying to run these commands (keylset,keylget) but i keep getting a error message "invalid command name "keylset"". I've tried running it on both ubuntu's terminal and also Evolane Tcl Engine. Any idea what could be the problem? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abe171
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting terminal with shortcut key combination

How can the shortcut keys be defined that would open up a terminal window? When using a kvm switch, the mouse sometimes does not work, but the keyboard does, and by opening up a terminal window using a shortcut key combination, the mouse can be restarted by entering the predefined mouserestart... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in. Is it also possible to start the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

'Starting up partitioner' freezes during Ubuntu Server install

Here's my hardware: GA-880GA-UD3H(rev. 2.2) Had Ubuntu 11.04 server running with 6 Seagate 1TB ST31000524AS drives. Was NOT using the 2 white gigabyte sata ports, only blue. (8 sata ports total on MB) 1x IDE DVD-ROM (For Ubuntu Server Install disk) I was trying to upgrade to use all SATA... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorewap3
0 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Start X Server without starting a terminal

when I run C:\cygwin\bin\run C:\cygwin\bin\startxwin.exe it fires up a terminal by default. Can I eliminate that terminal and start the x server as a service silently and sits in my status bar just there? Thanks Jack (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Error when starting apache

Due to an activity scheduled on the server, I had stop the apache process and then restart when the activity completed. The activity started at 9am and ended around 9 pm. To list the apache processes that were running on the server before I stopped it, I used ps -ef | grep apache, and these were... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pgrep for processes which are not associated with a terminal in Ubuntu

I would like to find all of the PIDs of processes which are not associated with a terminal and started by CRON. When I do the ps aux | less command, I see in the TTY field a lot of processes with ? character I would like to get those processes ID, is there a way to do that with pgrep? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASF Studio
1 Replies
PBUILDER-DIST-SIMPLE(1) 				      General Commands Manual					   PBUILDER-DIST-SIMPLE(1)

NAME
pbuilder-dist-simple - simple multi-release pbuilder wrapper SYNOPSIS
pbuilder-<dist> operation [...] DESCRIPTION
pbuilder-dist-simple is a wrapper that makes it easy to use pbuilder with chroots for many different Ubuntu distributions. If you need more features than pbuilder-dist-simple provides, have a look at pbuilder-dist(1). USAGE
Create one symlink to pbuilder-dist-simple for each distribution for which you want a build environment, naming them like "pbuilder-lucid", "pbuilder-natty", etc. Replace operation with the action you want pbuilder-dist-simple to do (create, update, build, clean, login or execute). EXAMPLES
pbuilder-natty create Creates a pbuilder environment for Ubuntu Natty. pbuilder-lucid update Updates an existing Ubuntu Lucid environment. pbuilder-lucid build ./sample_1.0-0ubuntu1.dsc Builds the specified package on an already existing Ubuntu Lucid environment. FILES
By default, pbuilder-dist-simple will store all the files it generates in ~/pbuilder/. This can be changed by modifying the BASE_DIR value on the top of the script to any other directory you want. If the directory doesn't exit, it will be created at runtime. SEE ALSO
pbuilder(1), pbuilderrc(5), pbuilder-dist(1) AUTHORS
pbuilder-dist was originally written by Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> and Jordan Mantha <mantha@ubuntu.com>, and this man- page by Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. ubuntu-dev-tools February 25, 2008 PBUILDER-DIST-SIMPLE(1)