Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PS1 - change
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PS1 - change Post 302953875 by D'go on Wednesday 2nd of September 2015 08:16:53 AM
Old 09-02-2015
No, it didnt work either

==
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#the point of this script is to that it automates and changes my prompts every day
msg1="What do you feel like adding today :"
cmd1='PS1="'
cmd2='"'
echo $msg1
read PROMPTT
PS1="$PROMPTT"

====

running command:
Code:
dgo@Linux ~ : sh changeprompt.sh
What do you feel like adding today :
Hello :
dgo@Linux ~ :

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I changed PS1 and now ....

Hello I am using Debain Potato and I changed the PS1. When I log in locally everythink is fine, except that when I enter a long row without hitting enter, then it word wraps automatically. And it does it not at the end of the row, it does it in the middle of the row! It also does not writes... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 in ksh

I know this question has come up before but I couldn't find any documentation on ksh here. I'm trying PS1="`whoami`@`hostname`:`pwd`> " export PS1 in ksh but the working directory sticks at the home directory. How do I fix that? Also, how do I make the prompt bold in korn? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change PS1 for every one second

I want to change the PS1 prompt with current time. I want the PS1 to update for every one second. I write a Script. PS1='\T' but it updates after i press enter key.I want to update without pressing enter key. can any one help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 prompt

please advise what's wrong with this command ? PS1="`hostname`:`who am i | cut -d " " -f1`:>>" trying to make the PS1 prompt look like : machine_name:username:>> thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Export PS1 I think :-0

I am 100% new to Unix and trying to learn. This is my first time even touching a script in Unix. We have the following variable script that I am trying to run.... ################################## ###### variable test### ################################## Hostname=`hostname`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 challenge

Ok then i Have a challenge for you : Give me PS1 so that it always display the least 2 levels of directory (except if i am above of course) I want it this way : so if i go to / /home/ /home/user /home/user/whatever /home/user/whatever1/whatever2 my PS1 should respectively... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting PS1

I have set PSI for my prompt using the following command: PS1="${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\\u@\h:\\\w\a]\ "which produces chrisd@pguk:~]I want to include [ in the beginning but cannot understand the way to do this. Also I want to show only the current directory, not the whole... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change / Setup bash custom prompt (PS1)

I am trying to create my custom prompt and I have almost succeeded. Right now I have PS1='\n\\$\ ' What I have not figured out is how to make the directories bold when I'm using commands ls or ls -la. Any idea how to do it??? Many thanx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emailkia
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing PS1

I have coded PS1 as shown, producing the following result when writing on the command line ┌─ cdl └──╼ make tracepdf2d If I make an error in the command an ✗ is printed ┌─ ✗ cdl └──╼ ls-a ls-a: command not found My problem is that if I just press enter, I do not want to have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
pthread_get_nice_np(3T) 												   pthread_get_nice_np(3T)

NAME
pthread_get_nice_np(), pthread_set_nice_np() - get or set the nice value of a thread SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
thread The thread whose nice value is to be set/retrieved. nice_val Value of nice to be applied to the target thread is returned (get function) or it specifies the new value of nice for thread (set function). DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to set and retrieve the nice value of an individual thread. returns the current nice value setting of the target thread and stores it in nice_val. adds the value of nice_val to the current nice value of the target thread. A thread's nice value is a non-negative number. The system imposes a minimum nice value of 0 and a maximum of 39 with lower nice values providing more favorable scheduling. If calling results in a nice value outside the range of 0 to 39, the value will be set to the nearest limit. A process must have appropriate privileges to lower a thread's nice value. The function allows individual threads in the process to have different nice values. returns the current nice value less 20 and will be in the range -20 to +19. The nice value of only system scope threads can be changed. An attempt to change the nice value of a process-scope thread will result in a return value of Calling on a thread that has a scheduling policy other than will have an effect only when the thread's scheduling policy changes to If a thread calls the system call to create a new process, the new process inherits the process-level nice value. Calling to create a new thread will result in the new thread inheriting the creating thread's nice value. Note If the nice value of the entire process is changed through or all the threads in the process will have their nice values reset to the new process-level nice value. The new process's nice value setting overwrites the old thread's setting. Thus its possible that a thread whose nice value had been set higher than the process-level nice value have its nice value lowered as a result of the process-level re-nicing. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the and functions return the corresponding error: A process-scope thread was specified. The caller does not have permission to lower the nice value specified in nice_val. No thread could be found corresponding to thread. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fork(2), nice(2), setpriority(2), pthread_attr_getschedpolicy(3T), pthread_setschedparam(3T). Pthread Library pthread_get_nice_np(3T)