Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Study UNIX Kernel
Operating Systems SCO Study UNIX Kernel Post 302952366 by Abdo_8008 on Tuesday 18th of August 2015 10:52:09 AM
Old 08-18-2015
Study UNIX Kernel

Hi all,
I hope you are fine,

I'd like study Os I tried a book like Silberschatz it's a good book but like
other books it talks about the concepts abstractly and that's due to it try
to encompass many concepts from many operating systems in GENERAL.

i am not too much comfortable from these method i'd like to go something
concrete... so I decided to read and study an actual implementation of an OS
(it's source code) . I decided to do that by studying :
  • C Programming language
  • A Machine Architecture corresponding to a selected operating system
  • A selected operating system

the Criteria am considering for selecting an OS is :
  • it runs on a machine that have books and documentation that describes it (preferably but not restricted to Intel )
  • the OS itself has plenty of books and documentation describing and explaining it's concepts and source code and of course open source the most important criteria is that it's old enough to be quite easy covering the fundamentals and then I could read more about subsequent versions for more complexity .
  • the OS is Unix or Unix-like or A modification or derived from Unix Kernel.

-----------------------------------

I tried searching for Xenix because it runs on 80386 which is an Intel well documented machine but I found that the OS itself is a closed source ..

my question now : I'd like you to help me please to choose the OS and the Corresponding Machine meeting the above criteria (even it's too old but it must have books and documentation still available till now) ... i have searched the internet too much but am still confused ...

and please tell me if am thinking correct to try learning this way ..

thanks too much for you all

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Converted text list to formatted list

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i want to study unix,but it is very dificult.

14 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbweh5280
2 Replies

3. Programming

To study kernel and modular programming

I want to do kernel programming.So which site or books help me in studying these.I know C programming to a little extent.Please advice me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjith
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for unix study

hi I am vijay how r the unix gurus? I want to install unix for our sites.So pls tell me abt unix installation user guide & also all the unix commands.Pls help me.I am waiting for yr reply. bye..........vijay :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vi77_surat
2 Replies

5. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix study help

Hi, I need some help with the follow questions :(. Any help would be great! Answer with the necessary commands 1. In your login directory, make a directory called week4/revision 2. Without changing directories, make another directory week4_revision/data 3. Change to week4_revision/data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heyo
2 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX- -Case study - Library management.

Hi.. I am a new joinee to this foram.I need to submit a case study in UNIX .Please help me to submit the case study by giving your valuable ideas.It will be very helpful for me. Topic: Unix File Management A university wants to computerize its Library operations because of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji_jeya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX like 2 weeks of study only

why does this not work, confused #!/bin/ksh x="x" echo "Enter a name: " read NAME while do echo $NAME echo if then echo ":" else echo $NAME fi echo echo "Enter a Name: " read NAME (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gmoney93079
8 Replies
PERLVOS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						PERLVOS(1)

NAME
perlvos - Perl for Stratus OpenVOS SYNOPSIS
This file contains notes for building perl on the Stratus OpenVOS operating system. Perl is a scripting or macro language that is popular on many systems. See perlbook for a number of good books on Perl. These are instructions for building Perl from source. This version of Perl requires the dynamic linking support that is found in OpenVOS Release 17.1 and thus is not supported on OpenVOS Release 17.0 or earlier releases. If you are running VOS Release 14.4.1 or later, you can obtain a pre-compiled, supported copy of perl by purchasing the GNU Tools product from Stratus Technologies. BUILDING PERL FOR OPENVOS
To build perl from its source code on the Stratus V Series platform you must have OpenVOS Release 17.1.0 or later, GNU Tools Release 3.5 or later, and the C/POSIX Runtime Libraries. Follow the normal instructions for building perl; e.g, enter bash, run the Configure script, then use "gmake" to build perl. INSTALLING PERL IN OPENVOS
1. After you have built perl using the Configure script, ensure that you have modify and default write permission to ">system>ported" and all subdirectories. Then type gmake install 2. While there are currently no architecture-specific extensions or modules distributed with perl, the following directories can be used to hold such files (replace the string VERSION by the appropriate version number): >system>ported>lib>perl5>VERSION>i786 3. Site-specific perl extensions and modules can be installed in one of two places. Put architecture-independent files into: >system>ported>lib>perl5>site_perl>VERSION Put site-specific architecture-dependent files into one of the following directories: >system>ported>lib>perl5>site_perl>VERSION>i786 4. You can examine the @INC variable from within a perl program to see the order in which Perl searches these directories. USING PERL IN OPENVOS
Restrictions of Perl on OpenVOS This port of Perl version 5 prefers Unix-style, slash-separated pathnames over OpenVOS-style greater-than-separated pathnames. OpenVOS- style pathnames should work in most contexts, but if you have trouble, replace all greater-than characters by slash characters. Because the slash character is used as a pathname delimiter, Perl cannot process OpenVOS pathnames containing a slash character in a directory or file name; these must be renamed. This port of Perl also uses Unix-epoch date values internally. As long as you are dealing with ASCII character string representations of dates, this should not be an issue. The supported epoch is January 1, 1980 to January 17, 2038. See the file pod/perlport.pod for more information about the OpenVOS port of Perl. TEST STATUS
A number of the perl self-tests fails for various reasons; generally these are minor and due to subtle differences between common POSIX- based environments and the OpenVOS POSIX environment. Ensure that you conduct sufficient testing of your code to guarantee that it works properly in the OpenVOS environment. SUPPORT STATUS
I'm offering this port "as is". You can ask me questions, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them. There are some excellent books available on the Perl language; consult a book seller. If you want a supported version of perl for OpenVOS, purchase the OpenVOS GNU Tools product from Stratus Technologies, along with a support contract (or from anyone else who will sell you support). AUTHOR
Paul Green (Paul.Green@stratus.com) LAST UPDATE
February 28, 2013 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 PERLVOS(1)