Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Required 3 lines above the file and below file when string matches Post 302951857 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 11th of August 2015 07:43:10 AM
Old 08-11-2015
If your grep doesn't support the -A and the -B options you can try:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{if($0 ~ /error/){n=NR}next}FNR > n-4 && FNR < n+4' /home/file.txt /home/file.txt

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-11-2015 at 09:04 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Franklin52 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If string matches within 2 files, delete one file.

I have a directory with a large # of files and in each file I am looking to match a string in one file with a string in the subsequent n file(s). If there is a match between a string in one file and a string in the next n file(s) then delete the subsequent duplicate file(s). Here is sample input: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines from one file if pattern matches

I have one comma separated file (a.txt) with two or more records all matching except for the last column. I would like to merge all matching lines into one and consolidate the last column, separated by ":". Does anyone know of a way to do this easily? I've searched the forum but most talked... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement when particular pattern matches in a file

I have a file file123.xml which looks like this xmlEntry="username"="josh" <property="never_back_down"> phone="<178652>" apn=property:address="wonderland" xmlEntry="username"="jessica" <property="never_back_down"> phone="<178653>" apn=property:address="wonderland"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex matches from lines in file

Hello, I try to script something (bash-script) and can not find a way to get and store a match into a variable from a line in a file. grep isn't useful as the matches are not returned - just colored. I can't get 'expr' to work for me. Is it necessary to use a perl-script with regex instead? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in printing n number of lines if a search string matches in a file

Hi I have below script which is used to grep specific errors and if error string matches send an email alert. Script is working fine , however , i wish to print next 10 lines of the string match to get the details of error in the email alert Current code:- #!/bin/bash tail -Fn0 --retry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha0785
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude lines in a file with matches with multiple Strings using egrep

Hi I have a txt file and I would like to use egrep without using -v option to exclude the lines which matches with multiple Strings. Let's say I have some text in the txt file. The command should not fetch lines if they have strings something like CAT MAT DAT The command should fetch me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathwik
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)