Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums NFS mounted and unmounted shell script Post 302951443 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 6th of August 2015 11:24:13 AM
Old 08-06-2015
Exactly what Linux/UNIX are you using? I am guessing CentOS.

Do you know about /etc/mnttab or etc/mtab (if it exists on your system)?

/proc/mounts has a specific format, if I understand correctly it has a column that specifies the status. So, simply finding the mountpoint in there may nort be what you want?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell if a filesystem is NFS mounted?

I would like to know if there is a command or set of commands that I can run to verify that there are no 'extraneous' nfs mounted filesystems on our server. I didn't see anything in doing a search on NFS. We think that we may have some filesystems that are still nfs mounted when the link should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing if nfs filesystem is mounted

Hello, I have a backup script that backs up my system to a nfs mounted file system. The mount point on my local system is /backup. I want my script to check whether the nfs file system is mounted on /backup before actually backing anything up. Even if the nfs file system was NOT mounted,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

VNC + GNOME with nfs mounted homedirs.

Hi! I'm experiencing some disturbing problems with a machine at work. I've got about 20 users and of which 15 uses VNC to connect to the machine for working with GNOME. The problem is that after a while it seems like the homedir get some nfs stales or something, gnome processes hangs and so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill shell script when host program not running/disk unmounted

I have my Mac OS X program executing a shell script (a script that copies files to a drive). I want to make it so that the shell script automatically kills itself if it finds that the host .app is not running OR kill itself if the drive that it is copying files to has been unmounted. Right now what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

5. Solaris

NFS mounted files

If I am not a system admin. How can I tell where a particular mounted file is mounted from. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if (disk is mounted) unmount if (disk is unmounted) mount

Hey there, sorry if this is a bit too much of a noob question, trying to get to grips with a simple bash script - but i have done ZERO bash scripting. basically having worked out how to mount and unmount disks using: disktool -m *device* & disktool -e *device* - and looking at the result of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hollister
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

doubt in NFS mounted filesystem in linux

Hi, I have some filesystem which is nfs mounted and shared to other servers. Nfs server name= nfsserver (here filesystem is locally mounted) server name where filesystem is shared = sharedserver1 and sharedserver2 filesystem which is shared = /filesystem1 when i am checking utilization by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to write to a mounted NFS share

Hi All, I created a nfs share in the server(Solaris 10) with the following command and also updated the dfstab file share -F nfs -o rw=server_name2,anon=0 /to_share And then in the client(solaris 10) added the following command to mount the share mount -F nfs server_name1:/to_share... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Unable to write to NFS mounted directory

Hi, I have exported a few nfs mounts from one server to the nfs clients. This is my nfs server dfstab : # cat /etc/dfs/dfstab # place share(1M) commands here for automatic execution # on entering init state 3. # # share <pathname> # .e.g, # share -F... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

10. AIX

Mounted and unmounted

Hi Guys I'm new here, and I need urgent help. This my first steps to be Aix admin and I have this task -instal Oracle database on Aix machine and create mounting point /u02 of size 100GB for Oracle Standalone database installation. -download and install the following OS patches - IV42025... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaled_ly84
5 Replies
FINDMNT(8)						       System Administration							FINDMNT(8)

NAME
findmnt - find a filesystem SYNOPSIS
findmnt [options] findmnt [options] device|mountpoint findmnt [options] [--source] device [--target|--mountpoint] mountpoint DESCRIPTION
findmnt will list all mounted filesystems or search for a filesystem. The findmnt command is able to search in /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab or /proc/self/mountinfo. If device or mountpoint is not given, all filesystems are shown. The device may be specified by device name, major:minor numbers, filesystem label or UUID, or partition label or UUID. Note that findmnt follows mount(8) behavior where a device name may be interpreted as a mountpoint (and vice versa) if the --target, --mountpoint or --source options are not specified. The command prints all mounted filesystems in the tree-like format by default. OPTIONS
-A, --all Disable all built-in filters and print all filesystems. -a, --ascii Use ascii characters for tree formatting. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE, USED and AVAIL columns in bytes rather than in a human-readable format. -C, --nocanonicalize Do not canonicalize paths at all. This option affects the comparing of paths and the evaluation of tags (LABEL, UUID, etc.). -c, --canonicalize Canonicalize all printed paths. -D, --df Imitate the output of df(1). This option is equivalent to -o SOURCE,FSTYPE,SIZE,USED,AVAIL,USE%,TARGET but excludes all pseudo filesystems. Use --all to print all filesystems. -d, --direction word The search direction, either forward or backward. -e, --evaluate Convert all tags (LABEL, UUID, PARTUUID or PARTLABEL) to the corresponding device names. -F, --tab-file path Search in an alternative file. If used with --fstab, --mtab or --kernel, then it overrides the default paths. If specified more than once, then tree-like output is disabled (see the --list option). -f, --first-only Print the first matching filesystem only. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -i, --invert Invert the sense of matching. -J, --json Use JSON output format. -k, --kernel Search in /proc/self/mountinfo. The output is in the tree-like format. This is the default. The output contains only mount options maintained by kernel (see also --mtab). -l, --list Use the list output format. This output format is automatically enabled if the output is restricted by the -t, -O, -S or -T option and the option --submounts is not used or if more that one source file (the option -F) is specified. -M, --mountpoint path Explicitly define the mountpoint file or directory. See also --target. -m, --mtab Search in /etc/mtab. The output is in the list format by default (see --tree). The output may include user space mount options. -N, --task tid Use alternative namespace /proc/<tid>/mountinfo rather than the default /proc/self/mountinfo. If the option is specified more than once, then tree-like output is disabled (see the --list option). See also the unshare(1) command. -n, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -O, --options list Limit the set of printed filesystems. More than one option may be specified in a comma-separated list. The -t and -O options are cumulative in effect. It is different from -t in that each option is matched exactly; a leading no at the beginning does not have global meaning. The "no" can used for individual items in the list. The "no" prefix interpretation can be disabled by "+" prefix. -o, --output list Define output columns. See the --help output to get a list of the currently supported columns. The TARGET column contains tree formatting if the --list or --raw options are not specified. The default list of columns may be extended if list is specified in the format +list (e.g. findmnt -o +PROPAGATION). -P, --pairs Use key="value" output format. All potentially unsafe characters are hex-escaped (x<code>). -p, --poll[=list] Monitor changes in the /proc/self/mountinfo file. Supported actions are: mount, umount, remount and move. More than one action may be specified in a comma-separated list. All actions are monitored by default. The time for which --poll will block can be restricted with the --timeout or --first-only options. The standard columns always use the new version of the information from the mountinfo file, except the umount action which is based on the original information cached by findmnt(8). The poll mode allows to use extra columns: ACTION mount, umount, move or remount action name; this column is enabled by default OLD-TARGET available for umount and move actions OLD-OPTIONS available for umount and remount actions -R, --submounts Print recursively all submounts for the selected filesystems. The restrictions defined by options -t, -O, -S, -T and --direction are not applied to submounts. All submounts are always printed in tree-like order. The option enables the tree-like output format by default. This option has no effect for --mtab or --fstab. -r, --raw Use raw output format. All potentially unsafe characters are hex-escaped (x<code>). -S, --source spec Explicitly define the mount source. Supported specifications are device, maj:min, LABEL=label, UUID=uuid, PARTLABEL=label and PAR- TUUID=uuid. -s, --fstab Search in /etc/fstab. The output is in the list format (see --list). -T, --target path Define the mount target. If path is not a mountpoint file or directory, then findmnt checks the path elements in reverse order to get the mountpoint (this feature is supported only when searching in kernel files and unsupported for --fstab). It's recommended to use the option --mountpoint when checks of path elements are unwanted and path is a strictly specified mountpoint. -t, --types list Limit the set of printed filesystems. More than one type may be specified in a comma-separated list. The list of filesystem types can be prefixed with no to specify the filesystem types on which no action should be taken. For more details see mount(8). --tree Enable tree-like output if possible. The options is silently ignored for tables where is missing child-parent relation (e.g. fstab). -U, --uniq Ignore filesystems with duplicate mount targets, thus effectively skipping over-mounted mount points. -u, --notruncate Do not truncate text in columns. The default is to not truncate the TARGET, SOURCE, UUID, LABEL, PARTUUID, PARTLABEL columns. This option disables text truncation also in all other columns. -v, --nofsroot Do not print a [/dir] in the SOURCE column for bind mounts or btrfs subvolumes. -w, --timeout milliseconds Specify an upper limit on the time for which --poll will block, in milliseconds. -x, --verify Check mount table content. The default is to verify /etc/fstab parsability and usability. It's possible to use this option also with --tab-file. It's possible to specify source (device) or target (mountpoint) to filter mount table. The option --verbose forces findmnt to print more details. --verbose Force findmnt to print more information (--verify only for now). EXAMPLES
findmnt --fstab -t nfs Prints all NFS filesystems defined in /etc/fstab. findmnt --fstab /mnt/foo Prints all /etc/fstab filesystems where the mountpoint directory is /mnt/foo. It also prints bind mounts where /mnt/foo is a source. findmnt --fstab --target /mnt/foo Prints all /etc/fstab filesystems where the mountpoint directory is /mnt/foo. findmnt --fstab --evaluate Prints all /etc/fstab filesystems and converts LABEL= and UUID= tags to the real device names. findmnt -n --raw --evaluate --output=target LABEL=/boot Prints only the mountpoint where the filesystem with label "/boot" is mounted. findmnt --poll --mountpoint /mnt/foo Monitors mount, unmount, remount and move on /mnt/foo. findmnt --poll=umount --first-only --mountpoint /mnt/foo Waits for /mnt/foo unmount. findmnt --poll=remount -t ext3 -O ro Monitors remounts to read-only mode on all ext3 filesystems. ENVIRONMENT
LIBMOUNT_FSTAB=<path> overrides the default location of the fstab file LIBMOUNT_MTAB=<path> overrides the default location of the mtab file LIBMOUNT_DEBUG=all enables libmount debug output LIBSMARTCOLS_DEBUG=all enables libsmartcols debug output LIBSMARTCOLS_DEBUG_PADDING=on use visible padding characters. Requires enabled LIBSMARTCOLS_DEBUG. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
fstab(5), mount(8) AVAILABILITY
The findmnt command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2015 FINDMNT(8)