Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pairing the nth elements on multiple lines iteratively Post 302951107 by John Lyon on Sunday 2nd of August 2015 01:17:15 PM
Old 08-02-2015
Thanks to you both for your replies. I was trying to keep it simple, but I should've added more information, I think. Here goes:

The data come from a LaTeX file, which uses a package called "Expex" which formats interlinear analyses of a non-English language.

The following two examples show how the data is laid out. The first line "\gla" is the object language, the second line "\glb" is the underlying form, the third line "\glc" is the morpheme gloss, the fourth line "\glc" is the word translation (the package doesn't allow "\gld" for whatever reason), and the last line "\glft" is the sentence translation. As you see, the number of words varies from example to example, just as natural language sentences may be shorter, or longer.

Each "word" is enclosed in curly brackets in the first two lines (though other sets of curly brackets may be nested within words), but only separated by spaces in the second two lines. The curly brackets are necessary to delimit words in the first two lines since some latex commands (e.g. "\ts" below) require blank spaces after them.

Code:
\gla {itl\'i\textglotstop } {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {t\textschwa cx\textsuperscript{w}\'u\texthalflength\texthalflength y.}// 
\glb {itl\'i\textglotstop } {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {tc+\ts x\textsuperscript{w}\'uy}//
\glc \textsc{dem} \textsc{rep} \textsc{loc}+go //
\glc from.there they.say came.over.this.way //
\glft `They said he was coming along.' //

\gla {u\textbeltl } {cut} {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {al\'a\textglotstop } {lut} {i\textglotstop } {q\'aqx\textsuperscript{w}\textschwa lx} {ka\textglotstop} {cx\textsuperscript{w}uys} {i\textglotstop } {l} {siw\textbeltl k\textsuperscript{w}.} //
\glb {u\textbeltl } {cut} {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} {al\'a\textglotstop } {lut} {i\textglotstop } {q\'a(\tb)\ts qx\textsuperscript{w}lx} {ki\textglotstop} {c\textendash \ts x\textsuperscript{w}uy\textendash s} {i\textglotstop } {l} {siw\textbeltl k\textsuperscript{w}} //
\glc \textsc{conj} say \textsc{rep} \textsc{dem} \textsc{neg} \textsc{det} fish \textsc{comp.obl} \textsc{cust}\textendash go\textendash \textsc{3sg.poss} \textsc{det} \textsc{loc} water //
\glc and he.said they.say here no the fish where.that they.come the through water //
\glft `Coyote said there will be no fish going through the water here.' //

The \glft line may be ignored, but what I'd like exactly is the following, where "&" denotes a column separator in LaTeX and "\\" indicates a newline. Each line has 4 "words", i.e. the nth word in each of the first four lines in the examples above.

Code:
{itl\'i\textglotstop } & {itl\'i\textglotstop } & \textsc{dem} & from.there \\
{k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} & {k\textsuperscript{w}uk\textsuperscript{w}} &  \textsc{rep} & they.say \\

Etcetera. Once the first example is done, the second example would be appended to the above list. Eventually each line will be sorted alphabetically by the first "column". It'd also be nice to be able to choose which input lines to include in the output, though I'd greatly appreciate any more assistance you could give in obtaining the basic result just outlined. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average of elements throught multiple files

Hi, I got a lot of files looking like this: 1 0.5 6 All together there are ard 1'000'000 lines in each of the ard 100 files. I want to build the average for every line, and write the result to a new file. The averaging should start at a specific line, here for example at line... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillmaster
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting number of lines of nth occurrency

Hi all, I would like to extract the line number of the n-th occurrency of a given string in a file. e.g. xxx yyy xxx zzz xxx the second occurrency of xxx is at line 3. What is the fastest way to do it in bash? Thank you, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array output through a for loop problematic with multiple elements.

This code works perfect when using a machine with only one interface online. (Excluding the loopback of course) But when I have other interface up for vmware or a vpn the output gets mixed up. I know I had this working when I was just reading ip's from files so I know it is not a problem with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to output all lines following Nth occurrence of string

Greetings experts. Searched the forums (perhaps not hard enough?) - Am searching for a method to capture all output from a log file following the nth occurrence of a known string. Background: Using bash, I want to monitor my Oracle DB alert log file. The script will count the total # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjtravis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines after nth LINE from an output

Hi all, Here is my problem for which i am breaking my head for past three days.. I have parted command output as follows.. Model: ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0 (scsi) Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Number Start End Size Type ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files in shell bash, changing elements order.

Hi, I want to rename several files like this: example: A0805120817.BHN A0805120818.BHN ..... to: 20120817.0805.N 20120818.0805.N ...... How can i do this via terminal or in shell bash script ? thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintolcv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the lines with nth column non-null

Hi, I have a huge list of archives (.gz). Each archive is about 40MB. A file is generated every minute so if I want to analyze the data for 1 hour I get already 60 files for example. These are text files, ';' separated, each line having about 300 fields (columns). What I need to do is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nenad
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple arrays elements using awk

I need your help to discover missing elements for each box. In theory each box should have 4 items: ITEM01, ITEM02, ITEM08, and ITEM10. Some boxes either have a missing item (BOX02 ITEM08) or might have da duplicate item (BOX03 ITEM02) and missing another one (BOX03 ITEM01). file01.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies
XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)						    X FUNCTIONS 					      XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)

NAME
XdbeGetVisualInfo - Get dbe Visual Informations SYNOPSIS
#include <X11/extensions/Xdbe.h> XdbeScreenVisualInfo *XdbeGetVisualInfo( Display *dpy, Drawable *screen_specifiers, int *num_screens) DESCRIPTION
This function returns information about which visuals support double buffering. The argument num_screens specifies how many elements there are in the screen_specifiers list. Each drawable in screen_specifiers designates a screen for which the supported visuals are being requested. If num_screens is zero, information for all screens is requested. In this case, upon return from this function, num_screens will be set to the number of screens that were found. If an error occurs, this function returns NULL, else it returns a pointer to a list of XdbeScreenVisualInfo structures of length num_screens. The nth element in the returned list corresponds to the nth drawable in the screen_specifiers list, unless num_screens was passed in with the value zero, in which case the nth element in the returned list corre- sponds to the nth screen of the server, starting with screen zero. The XdbeScreenVisualInfo structure has the following fields: int count XdbeVisualInfo *visinfo count specifies the number of items in visinfo. visinfo specifies a list of visuals, depths, and performance hints for this screen. The XdbeVisualInfo structure has the following fields: VisualID visual int depth int perflevel visual specifies one visual ID that supports double-buffering. depth specifies the depth of the visual. perflevel is a performance hint. The only operation defined on a perflevel is comparison to a perflevel of another visual on the same screen. The visual having the higher perflevel is likely to have better double-buffering graphics performance than the visual having the lower perflevel. Nothing can be deduced from the following: the magnitude of the difference of two perflevels, a perflevel value in isolation, or comparing perflevels from different servers. ERRORS
BadDrawable One or more values passed in screen_specifiers is not a valid drawable. SEE ALSO
DBE, XdbeAllocateBackBufferName(), XdbeBeginIdiom(), XdbeDeallocateBackBufferName(), XdbeEndIdiom(), XdbeFreeVisualInfo(), XdbeGetBack- BufferAttributes(), XdbeQueryExtension(), XdbeSwapBuffers(). X Version 11 libXext 1.1.1 XdbeGetVisualInfo(3)