Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Time Stamp Range On Log Files Post 302948721 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 1st of July 2015 05:20:33 PM
Old 07-01-2015
What operating system and shell are you using? (The tools available to process timestamps vary considerably from OS to OS, and in some cases from shell to shell.)

Are your log files sorted in increasing timestamp order?

Will the timestamp range you want to select ever cross day boundaries or will the start and end points always be on the same date?

Can you specify the timestamp format that the user has to enter for the start and end points (e.g., YYYYMMDDhhmmss, YYYYMMDD:hh:mm:ss, or DD/Mon/YYYY:hh:mm:ss)? If so, have you chosen a format, or can we select one that makes processing easier? If not, what format(s) do(es) your script need to be able to interpret?

Will all of the offsets from GMT (i.e., -0400) be the same for the timestamp ranges you're interested in? (Your script will be much more complex if log entries are coming from various timezones around the world or if your script has to make adjustments for timestamp ranges crossing shifts to and from daylight savings time.)

Is the output supposed to change at all (other than reducing the number of selected entires being processed)? If so, how?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for files based on the time stamp

Hi All, I know the timestamp of a file. Now i would like to list all the files in the with the same time stamp in the same file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. sunny (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunny_03
1 Replies

2. Solaris

doubt reg time stamp in files.

I copied a file from one host to another using sftp. But after copying the time stamp is not updating . Even though I checked the permission, it looks good. I copied the same file to some temporary location, there it updating the time stamp. Anyone have any idea on this (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

time stamp perl script error out of range 1..31

Hi, while running the perl script i am getting this error message , Day '' out of range 1..31 at rsty.sh line 44 what do iam missing in the script, any suggestion #!/usr/bin/perl use Time::Local; my $wday = $ARGV; my $month = $ARGV; # convert the month shortname into 0-11 number if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Old time stamp being updated for new files

Hello Friends I am facing a weird problem :confused:, we receive thousands of files in my system on a daily basis, access time stamp on some of the files are being updated as old time stamp like 1968-01-19, Could some one help me what could be causing this? so that i can narrow down the problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify log files based on time stamp,zip and then copy..HELP

Hi All, PFB is a requirement. I am new to shell scripting. So plz help. It would be highly appreciated. 1. choose all the log files based on a particular date (files location is '/test/domain')--i.e,we should choose all the files that are modified on 29th November, neither 28th nor 30th 2.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdas_niladri
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select files by time stamp

Hi, I need help to read file in a directory on basis of time stamp. e.g. If file access in last 2 minutes it should not be copy to remote directory. Below is my script. +++++++++++++++++++++++++ #!/bin/ksh DATE=`date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H%M"` SEPARATER=" " exec < out_interfaces.cfg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qamar.alam
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - check time stamp between range or not

I want to check given time stamp is between the given time stamp or not. I am using AIX. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS abc.csv START TIME, END TIME 20130209018000,20130509022000 20120209018000,20130509022000 20120209018000,20130509022000 Script will check given time stamp is between above two range or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files with date and time stamp

Hi Folks, Need a clarification on files with date and time stamp. Here is my requirement. There is a file created everyday with the following format "file.txt.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS". Now i need to check for this file and if it is available then i need to do some task to the file. I tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check time stamp in log file and calculate.

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. i want to make a script for calculate time by time2 - time1 1600266278|random|1|2014-09-19 02:08:56.024|2014-09-19 02:08:59.398|A|B|ROOM|Num0208559970111101788|1|dog|dos 1600266200|random|4|2014-09-19 02:08:06.572|2014-09-19... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting all lines between two time stamp from the log

Can you help me to collect the entire logs between two time stamp. The below awk command collecting the logs only if the line has time stamp. awk '$0>=from && $0<=to' from="150318 23:19:04" to="150318 23:55:04" log file 150318 23:19:04 logentries 150318 23:29:04 logentries 150318... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
11 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)