Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep command giving different result for different users for same command Post 302947489 by Pushpraj on Thursday 18th of June 2015 09:40:07 AM
Old 06-18-2015
Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello,

I am running below command as root user
Code:
#nodetool cfstats tests | grep  "Memtable switch count"
Memtable switch count: 12

Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result.
Code:
#su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count""
Memtable cell count: 0
Memtable data size: 0
Memtable off heap memory used: 0
Memtable switch count: 12

I am not sure why grep giving different result here.

Please help.

Thanks,
Pushpraj

Last edited by Pushpraj; 06-18-2015 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

2. Linux

Terminal Execution By Giving a Command

Hi Guys, I am using Red Hat Linux 5 and GNOME Terminal is available there in the Accessories menu of Applications. But I don't see any run command option which can be used to type the name of the terminal and execute it directly as I used to do it under Mandrake Linux wherein I would type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last Command not giving year

Hi All, i want the last login details along with year. i tried below command but not giving me the year of last login. last <$Userid> | head -1 i heard that if it is current year then it wont display the year else it will display the year. is it so? if yes then , is there any way of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani_rvce
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last Command not giving year

Hi All, i want the last login details along with year. i tried below command but not giving me the year of last login. last <$Userid> | head -1 i heard that if it is current year then it wont display the year else it will display the year. is it so? if yes then , is there any way of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani_rvce
1 Replies

5. Linux

acroread command giving error

Hi, When I run the command acroread it is giving error ERROR: Cannot find installation directory. When I look at /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/ an exicutable file named acroread is there. When i run ./acroread from that directory it is working . What can i do so that I can give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep result to execute next command

Hi I am trying to run 2 servers using a script one after the other. I start the first one: run.sh -c servername >> jboss_log.txt & Then I have to wait until I see Started message in the log file before I launch the other server. I can't use sleep because I am not sure how long it'll... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iririr
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If the grep command returns any result set

my intension is to use a grep command inside the shell script and if any row is returned or not.. depending on the resultset i have to code on further. how to check this i mean.. could anyone help me out with the if condition how to use it here !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep result from dd command

Hi, I am running following command in a bash script for testing IO and use grep to get throughput number, but it did not work, it displayed everything: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync | grep bytes | awk '{print $7}' 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 536870912 bytes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command not giving correct result inside loop

Hi, i have a source file and have 3 columns and separated by "|" .i want to split this 3 columns in different variable.When i am executing this values indivisually giving correct result but when the same execute inside a for loop,it's giving issues. Src file(jjj.txt) -------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)