Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How I can find the last file created and move it to a directory? Post 302947413 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 09:38:47 PM
Old 06-17-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo Jarami
I have this situation
Code:
 /u03/app/banjobs> ls -ltr icg*

82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419186.log
  56810484 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.xml
      2859 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.lis
-      125 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421592.log
      82 Jun 12 10:37 iicgorldi_2419187.log
   56810484 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421597.xml
     2859 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421597.lis
  1 banjobs  jobsub       125 Jun 17 10:35 icgorldi_2421597.log
2421597.xml

I need to grab the last XML file created
rename and move to a directory the number (2421597) change every time the process run, I need to write a shl script to do that...The process that generates the file is schedule to run 3 times a day, so three different files are created
with a different number like:
Code:
 icgorldi_2421597.xml
icgorldi_2421598.xml
icgorldi_2421599.xml

The number is a sequence but it its share by other processes, so this file is not necessary in a sequence 97..9..99 the number is random..
Thank you

Thank you
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and sample code segments.
There are some very strange things going on here:
  1. The output from ls -ltr icg* should never give you files with names that do not start with the string icg.
  2. There are fields missing that should appear in output produced with the -l option.
  3. The fields produced by a given invocation of ls should have all fields aligned.
  4. The output from ls -ltr icg* should give you lines in reverse sorted order of the last modification times of the listed files; not dates that jump back and forth between June 12 and June 17.
  5. If you are looking for xml files why, why are you using ls -ltr icg* instead of ls -ltr *.xml? And, if you're just looking for filenames, why are you using the -l option?
  6. There are no ls options on most UNIX and Linux system filesystems to print file creation times. The ls -t option gives you a list of files sorted by the last file modification timestamp (not the file creation timestamp; most filesystems don't have a file creation timestamp).
  7. Where did the last line that you show as your output come from? It appears to just be a filename in a completely different file naming format than the other files in the directory and has none of the fields one would expect in long listing format?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files created by a specified user in a directory and its subdirectories

Is there a command or shell script which can be used for Finding all files created by a specified userid in a directory and its subdirectories. Say, I want to find all such files in directory /abc as well as in all the subdirectories such as /abc/xyz or /abc/xyz/pqr aqnd so on which was created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directory modified/created before 4 days

Hi, I have an application which creates some directories while running. I want to delete these directories which are 4 days older. i tried find . type d -mtime +1 -print And it is working fine.. but find . type d -mtime +4 -print is not giving any results which are 4 days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the newly created directory

Hi, I need to create new directory by increasing the number by 1 of extracted lastly created directory. e.g. Log\out_log_1\ Log\out_log_2\ Log\out_log_3\ become Log\out_log_1\ Log\out_log_2\ Log\out_log_3\ Log\out_log_4\ Can anyone help how to do it in c-shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andre_2008
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to find the date on which a particular directory is created?

how to find the date on which a particular directory is created? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commando to find and move mp3 file and directory

Hello, I have a lot of mp3 in a various directory. My goal is a command that find all mp3 file and move the files and directory where is the mp3 file to a destination folder. Is it possible? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giangi007
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files created today in a particular directory?

Dear All, I want a Hp Ux command to find out the files created today in a particular directory or mountpoint. Kindly help. Thanks Bhaskar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help list/find files greater 1G move to different directory

I have have 6 empty directory below. I would like write bash scipt if any files less "1000000000" bytes then move to "/export/home/mytmp/final" folder first and any files greater than "1000000000" bytes then move to final1, final2, final3, final4, final4, final5 and that depend see how many files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a list of files in directory, move to new, allow duplicates

Greetings. I know enough Unix to be dangerous (!) and know that there is a clever way to do the following and it will save me about a day of agony (this time) and I will use it forever after! (many days of agony saved in the future)! Basically I need to find any image files (JPGs, PSDs etc)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clyde Lovett
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find if create time of last created file in a directory is older than 5 minutes

A process xyz is running and creating file1, file2, file3, .... filen. how do i know if the process has stopped and createtime of the last file (filen) is older than 5 minutes? OS is AIX (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
3 Replies